Are these li-ions in parallel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these li-ions in parallel?

I saw an advertisement of this product and im wondering if these li-ions are in parallel?

This powerbank has 2 ac outputs...

If I count the number of li-ions and i see the advertised mAh it must be, or not?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by fivewin View Post
    I saw an advertisement of this product and im wondering if these li-ions are in parallel?

This powerbank has 2 ac outputs...

If I count the number of li-ions and i see the advertised mAh it must be, or not?
    They are probably wired in parallel.

It is not that batteries will not work if wired in parallel, the question is how many "cycles" will I get out of them if they are wired that way and will they charge and discharge equally.

Comment

Most likely Yes. The battery appears to be 3.6 volts @ 53 AH. Not a problem for Lithium individual cells being in parallel. That is how it is done. Would need to know more about it to be sure. What voltage do they claim?
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Here is the link to this product

https://chargetech.com/product/plug-...-power-supply/

Comment

Here is the link to this product
          OK had a look, even watched the video. It is a micro sized 250 watt UPS. However the specs tell you nothing. Here is what I mean. To find the capacity of a battery you need two pieces of information. You need to know the Voltage and AH capacity of the battery. Battery Watt Hour Capacity = Battery Voltage x AH.

The only thing they are specifying is battery capacity of 54,000 mah and 42,000 mah. Just the way they express the AH capacity is an attempt to mislead Joe Blow consumer. 54,000 mah sounds like a lot huh? Manufactures will use mah for very small batteries. Well 54,000 mah = 54 AH and no battery voltage specified.

Based on missing and misleading information provided by the manufacture, I would pass on it.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Indeed no voltage mentioned but if the pict shows all the batteries then most likely parallel, thus 3.7v

I was wondering wether the input to the built-in 250w inverter 3.7v is. Not so efficient then
            Last edited by fivewin; 01-19-2018, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Indeed no voltage mentioned but if the pict shows all the batteries then most likely parallel, thus 3.7v

I was wondering wether the input to the built-in 250w inverter 3.7v is. Not so efficient then
              The cells are 3.6 volts, but not all in parallel. I see 16 cells. That leaves the following possibilities of configurations:

16P No way 3.6 volts
              2S8P No way 7.2 volts
              4S4P most likely 14.4 volts
              8S2P Not likely 28.8 volts

At 4S4P would be 14.4 volts. But here is the part I find really fishy and unbelievable. Those cells appear to be 22650 cells, not sure. Now if you go look at 22650 cells with NCA chemistry the highest energy density made are around 5 to 8 AH. At 4S4P would be 14.4 volts @ 30 something AH's.

There is no problem paralleling batteries at the cell level. It is at the Block level it becomes a problem. Example 12 volt lead acid batteries are a block of 6 cells in series aka 6S. All lithium batteries are made at the Cell Level of 3.x volts.

Giving the benefit of doubt lets say it is 14.4 volts @ 42 AH is 604 Watt Hours. At 250 watts output is just about 2 hours of run time. But I have serious doubts. I would need to know exactly what cells they are and the configuration. Now for say a netbook consuming 20 watts run time would be roughly 600 wh / 20 w = 30 hours.
              Last edited by Sunking; 01-19-2018, 06:59 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
              X