There is a question about lipo battery and solar panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a question about lipo battery and solar panel

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie , I'm a drone lovers, and my drone used a 3s lipo battery, but it can only fly about 7-10 mins, so I need change a new battery to my drone after the flight, that's very trouble. I want know is there a solar panel can replace my 3s lipo battery ? It should support my drones fly and can recharge in the Sun, then my drones can fly longer time; but the solar panel should be 3s battery and very light.

No solar panel could replace your battery to provide any significant increase in flight time. Nor could it be added to the drone's existing battery system while in flight to provide a significant increase in flight time from a solar charge, even the lighter materials.

Unlike Rutan's Voyager aircraft, your drone simply does not have enough surface area to support any panel additions to do any good.
    Last edited by PNjunction; 09-23-2016, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Hello Red Sun

I am also an RC flyer. Unfortunately solar panels may extend the flight time of an RC glider but they will not replace a lipo battery.

I have used larger lipo's in my planes, ie. gone from 2 x 3000mah to 2 x 3500mah to extend flight time but that did add some weight. The good thing was I already had extra weight in the front to correct my COG so it was a win win in this case.

Comment

Forget about it and do some homework, If you did you would know it is impossible. I am a RC pilot and know exactly what you are doing and why it is impossible.

So you have a 3S 11.1 volt 2200 mah battery. OK mah may not be right. Depending on the size of the Drone Motors will pull 400 to 1000 watts from the battery.

That means it would take at least a 400 to 1000 watt panel, actually more. Care to guess how big and how much that weighs.

Can your drone lift you up and fly away?

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Forget about it and do some homework, If you did you would know it is impossible. I am a RC pilot and know exactly what you are doing and why it is impossible.

So you have a 3S 11.1 volt 2200 mah battery. OK mah may not be right. Depending on the size of the Drone Motors will pull 400 to 1000 watts from the battery.

That means it would take at least a 400 to 1000 watt panel, actually more. Care to guess how big and how much that weighs.

Can your drone lift you up and fly away?

My quad can lift a full can of beer. Well almost full.
          Last edited by SunEagle; 09-23-2016, 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            My quad can lift a full can of beer. Well almost full.
            I started an RC club down here, bought some land, and lease it out to our club members. Only 14 members but we have fun. Anyway Drones and Quads are not popular down here, same as the USa as they are seen as a Threat and a Weapon. We had two members who owned them. But down here in Panama mountain area where the flying feild is located, is patroled by our local Black Eagles. Something about Drones and Quads threatens them and they will immediately attack any Drone of Quad. Planes do not bother them though. I have had an Eagle chase a plane before, but never attack a plane.

GGot to see one go down. Jimmy a Expat from Canook was on his secon dflight when an Eagle showed up. I remember Jimmy laughing saying there is no way a Eagle could out manuveuer his Drone. Famous last words. Eagle missed on his first dive, so the Eagle went around, gained altitude, and made one of their famous 120 mph dives and nailed Jimmy's Drone. Feathers and parts went everywhere.

Another club near Panama City, says the PDF will shoot down a Drone no questions asked. A Drone is a perfect weapon to attack anyone anywhere without any warning or any realistic means of detecting or stopping an attack. Pilot does not have to be anywhere close. I am not a big fan of Drones either as it allows any knucklehead to fly without any training or experience.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

I started an RC club down here, bought some land, and lease it out to our club members. Only 14 members but we have fun. Anyway Drones and Quads are not popular down here, same as the USa as they are seen as a Threat and a Weapon. We had two members who owned them. But down here in Panama mountain area where the flying feild is located, is patroled by our local Black Eagles. Something about Drones and Quads threatens them and they will immediately attack any Drone of Quad. Planes do not bother them though. I have had an Eagle chase a plane before, but never attack a plane.

GGot to see one go down. Jimmy a Expat from Canook was on his secon dflight when an Eagle showed up. I remember Jimmy laughing saying there is no way a Eagle could out manuveuer his Drone. Famous last words. Eagle missed on his first dive, so the Eagle went around, gained altitude, and made one of their famous 120 mph dives and nailed Jimmy's Drone. Feathers and parts went everywhere.

Another club near Panama City, says the PDF will shoot down a Drone no questions asked. A Drone is a perfect weapon to attack anyone anywhere without any warning or any realistic means of detecting or stopping an attack. Pilot does not have to be anywhere close. I am not a big fan of Drones either as it allows any knucklehead to fly without any training or experience.
              No question there are way too many idiots that just purchase and go out and fly the damn things without even thinking about what they are doing or how dangerous they are to other on the ground.

I enjoy flying my quad but unlike some people I keep mine line of sight and less than 300 feet (that has to do with my limited vision). They are fun to fly and allow me take off and land in limited space as opposed to my ZII which needs a foot ball field and a half to land. It is a big heavy sucker and will just glide forever. I have to mount flaps on it to add some drag.

As for birds of prey going after RC planes. We have had some vultures go after my friends Radian once. It got a little too high and they did not like it being in their air space.

I am happy you got some people interested in flying down there although I would expect the winds to be a little more aggressive up in the mountains then we have here on the flats.

Comment

I am happy you got some people interested in flying down there although I would expect the winds to be a little more aggressive up in the mountains then we have here on the flats.
                Wind is a Problem anywhere in Panama right near the Equator, flanked by the Pacific and Caribbean. and in the middle of Trade Winds. I live on the south side of the Divide or Pacific side and winds can be a problem during the Dry Season when the Pacific Trade winds come from the south up the slopes. However Boquete area on the slope is a bowl shape area and produces some micro environments. We got us a nice piece of land of about 40 acres next to a farm. Only problem is if you take the area of the farm and our field is about what you call 1/4 section and is flanked on all sides by jungle. So if you go out a bit and crash, good luck finding it. You do not have trees in Florida trust me. You have shrubs and tooth picks. Trees around here are 100 to 200 feet tall. Scares the crap out of me flying in a real plane around here. Unless there is a clearing, rod, farm, or town you got no where to bail out.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Wind is a Problem anywhere in Panama right near the Equator, flanked by the Pacific and Caribbean. and in the middle of Trade Winds. I live on the south side of the Divide or Pacific side and winds can be a problem during the Dry Season when the Pacific Trade winds come from the south up the slopes. However Boquete area on the slope is a bowl shape area and produces some micro environments. We got us a nice piece of land of about 40 acres next to a farm. Only problem is if you take the area of the farm and our field is about what you call 1/4 section and is flanked on all sides by jungle. So if you go out a bit and crash, good luck finding it. You do not have trees in Florida trust me. You have shrubs and tooth picks. Trees around here are 100 to 200 feet tall. Scares the crap out of me flying in a real plane around here. Unless there is a clearing, rod, farm, or town you got no where to bail out.
                  Well I have had a few of those 50 foot shrubs eat my planes. You almost need a tracking beacon to find the darn things here if you lose sight of it.

Bigger problem is the darn 6 foot lizards that try to take off your leg if you cross over the wet lands trying to retrieve your downed plane. Almost not worth it.

Hey with that type of wind you can try out a "RC Slope Soaring" type plane. No motor, it just gets lift from the wind rushing up hill. Cool sport.

Comment

Bigger problem is the darn 6 foot lizards that try to take off your leg if you cross over the wet lands trying to retrieve your downed plane. Almost not worth it.
                    I have sen quite of few gators in FL and a lot around Orlando area as that is where we go mostly to play golf. So I have seen several in and around water on the courses. But never a problem. Only place I have had an encounter is north to Myrtle Beach King's North Golf Course on a par 3 hole. Two large males laying out soaking up rays just 30 feet from the tee box. These guys 6 years ago were 10 and 12 footers. I inquired about it at the club house and they said they were residents and signs are posted. Anyway seen the same two gators now in 3 trips a year apart. They just hang out on the lower tee box for ladies just above the pond you have to hit over

Hey with that type of wind you can try out a "RC Slope Soaring" type plane. No motor, it just gets lift from the wind rushing up hill. Cool sport.
                    We get a lot of Ridge and Slope places to fly and a few do that here. It can even be done on sunny days at our flying field. The soil around here is Black Lave rich sand loam Really dark black soil and ggets hotter than a Saturday Night Sex Pistol. So with the Jungle around any bare ground causes Thermals.
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                    X