Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • createthis
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle

Yeah about doing something for a while without bad results. I have heard of people playing Russian roulette in Asia many times and surviving. Yet it is still pretty dangerous and will eventually have fatal results.

When a product is made in the US it goes through a battery (excuse the pun) of failure tests. It has to first not fail and then if it does fail it can't hurt the user. IMO not getting shot 49 out of 50 times would not be classified as being safe.

I'm pretty sure you completely missed the point of what I said.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by createthis

I'm pretty sure you completely missed the point of what I said.
      I might have. Let me get another cup of coffee and re-read your post.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Unless you are running at the extreme limits, I (and I'm not speaking for midnight) would mount it any way you want. But I'd put it on a thick aluminum plate to help act as a heatsink. The classic has no external heat sinking, fins and pins are all inside with 3 screaming fans that cool it, no convection at all, in my opinion,
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

One reason why it is a battery bomb is I2R heating of the battery and cables during normal high amp operation..
          Nope, no one said a word about cable heating. But since you brought it up you cannot use MTW wire in any building as power wiring or anything in wet or outdoor applications. If your project were required to be inspected, your cable and terminals would fail and have to be replaced. Kind of all of our points, you do not listen or understand what you are being told.

The second reason why it is a battery bomb is because I didn't use power lugs (the double long ones) and a certified crimper and I may not have torqued my connections properly.[/LIST]I'm curious about #3 and I'd like to devise a series of tests to determine whether this should really be a concern or not.
          You are wasting your time, no one gives a damn what you think is safe or not. Fact is your methods and workmanship are poor, o not meet any known safety or comply with any known electrical building codes. No inspector, technician, installer, Osha, NFPA, Insurance company and engineers give a damn what you think is safe or not.

As for me, I do not care what you do, nor do I think the Mods give a darn what you do. We do not care if you set something on fire or hurt yourself. You burn something up or hurt yourself no problem for us. But if you think you can come here and other forums and say you are right and the rest of the world is wrong is not going to fly, especially when it is dangerous and demonstrates clear neglect. The forum owners can be held liable for their content and allowing you or others to promote unsafe practices.
          Last edited by Sunking; 10-02-2016, 11:33 AM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...