Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LFP Batteries from Simpliphi Power, Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LFP Batteries from Simpliphi Power, Inc.

Hello,

I'm working on designing an off-grid home and would like to consider the option of going with a LFP battery in the range of 20-30kwh. I like the idea of have a low maintenance battery without the need for ventilation.

From reading through the forums, there seems to be a lot of concerns around the failed Chinese based LFP batteries that flooded the market and ended up getting rebranded under new company names.

I've done a lot of research and found a company called "Simpliphi Power" and they seem to have an attractve product with a built in BMS, 5k cycles, and 10 year warranty. The company has a 3.4kwh "smart-tech" battery that allows for you to scale up the size of the bank in a module fashion.

http://live.simpliphipower.com/wp-co...spec-sheet.pdf

Has anyone worked with this company? I can't find any references in this forum. From my research it seems they started selling portable power back for mobile video equipment 10 years ago and transitioned into higher power stuff, including military.

A recent google news search says they've passed some tough military tests on some of their portable power packs - so that means they are at least living up to their performance specs.

The product claims it can work with traditional off-the-shelf charger controllers designed for lead acid batteries, so this seems attractive as well.

I found the installation manual for the product on a reseller website for those interested in reading about the specs and warranty.

http://dpasolar.com.au/media/mconnec...warranty_2.pdf

Any feedback on this company or product is apprehiated. (Being new here, but having read through the forms a lot, I'm assuming Sunking will chime in soon!)

Howdy I just posted in your into post, first job determining the required load in kWh, good to break it up to day and night usage and max draw if possible and then work out how many days autonomy you want to build in and then you can start designing, cheers.oh you want to make use of gas for heating and cooking if available or practicle and include a genny into the design

Comment

Originally posted by solar pete View Post
      Howdy I just posted in your into post, first job determining the required load in kWh, good to break it up to day and night usage and max draw if possible and then work out how many days autonomy you want to build in and then you can start designing, cheers.oh you want to make use of gas for heating and cooking if available or practicle and include a genny into the design
      I was thinking of advising along the exact same lines - choose heating system, hot water heat, cooking, etc to minimize electric load.

To the OP - personally I think you are on the right track with LFP (it was my choice for two of the same reasons you chose), but step back and identify your system requirements (LOAD). Don't start with the battery bank, or solar panels, or inverter, etc. Start with determining and knowing what size your loads are, what times of day they will be present, and duration. My largest load was my water pump since my heat was all gas. Since my new house is very similar to my current one, my electric bills were used as a baseline, and I adjusted up and down accordingly for differences.

If you design sequentially, by the time you get to the battery bank, you will have a good idea of what your charging profile options are (capacity), and as you compare battery chemistries you can compare generator requirements (size, run time).

Comment

20 to 30kwh range is a big off grid system. Not generally what would be considered off grid lifestyle.

You would really want to do the cost calculations over the long term before starting.

You could have grid with a back up genset, part of the run could go underground.

just saying cost it out properly.

Comment

I agree 20k-30k sounds large, but this is for a 3800 sqft house with a family of 7.

I'm getting ready to post a comprehensive overview of my design/load requirements. In fact, there's a weather station that's less than a half mile away that has a years worth of solar radiation data that I can use to calculate "worst case" conditions.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal...KAPAA7#history

But bottom line, I'm going to need some batteries So wanted to see if anyone here has heard of this product/company.
          Attached Files

Comment

So I just cracked open my favorite beer - Maui Big Swell IPA - and forgot to mention that I read they installed 100KWH worth of SimpliPhi batteries at the brewery in Maui.

Comment

It is a self-admitted proprietary LFP system. Mostly the bms, but can also mean cell vendor. This also means committing to a single-vendor lock-in and hoping that they will still be around years down the road.

In addition, only authorized installers can put the system into play, otherwise you have no warranty. YOU can't do it. I'm also not sure that only authorized installers can dictate what you use for the REST of the system.

SHOW ME THE CELLS. So far, they don't. Are they reputable cells, or "private label"?. Are they comprised of large-format prismatics, or 100's of 18650/26650 cells in a spiderweb of serial/parallel tack-welded connections?

The review are playing the made in USA card. Well, then I guess only A123 or another US vendor of cells is called for. I'd certainly want to know.

We don't know, and possibly it doesn't matter for those who like single-vendor lock-in.

Comment

Good points, more transparency on the cells would sure be nice.

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure the Army and Marines wouldn't be too happy with anything but something from the U.S. like A123 or equivalent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawi View Post
                    From reading through the forums, there seems to be a lot of concerns around the failed Chinese based LFP batteries that flooded the market and ended up getting rebranded under new company names.
                    Mostly from the 2008 era - Thundersky to Winston mostly. Improvements were made and it was not simply a case of rebranding. A123 going bankrupt is often misunderstood by the consumer over a single publicized but also misunderstood incident. A123 is STILL in business, and the cells I used from them were outstanding, compared to some of the others.

Simpliphi power should reveal the cells they use.

Be very careful reading forums - some threads can be ripe picking for veiled salesmanship.

Comment

Working...
                    X