X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkruper
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

Mophie made me mad.... can LiFePo help?

I am on my second Mophie (http://www.amazon.com/mophie-powerst...ords=mophie+xl), this one replaced the first one under warranty but now it is out of warranty and I am out $128. The battery is ok but the mini-usb connector is broken. The thing is built like a tank and I can't figure out how to open it.

Can I make a 12000ma power source from LiFePO that I can take with me in my computer bag to keep my iphone, ipad, etc charged? My NOCO 3.5 says it has a Li mode, whatever that means.

Heck, I'll even buy a fluke if it helps
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by lkruper
    I am on my second Mophie (http://www.amazon.com/mophie-powerst...ords=mophie+xl), this one replaced the first one under warranty but now it is out of warranty and I am out $128. The battery is ok but the mini-usb connector is broken. The thing is built like a tank and I can't figure out how to open it.

Can I make a 12000ma power source from LiFePO that I can take with me in my computer bag to keep my iphone, ipad, etc charged? My NOCO 3.5 says it has a Li mode, whatever that means.

Heck, I'll even buy a fluke if it helps
    You might be able to match the usb charging cable with one that charges a mobile phone. Maybe check Motorola or something from apple.

Comment

• lkruper
      Solar Fanatic
      • May 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
      You might be able to match the usb charging cable with one that charges a mobile phone. Maybe check Motorola or something from apple.
      It is the female port on the pack itself. It was starting to get flaky and then just stopped. I have two cables I was using.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

It is the female port on the pack itself. It was starting to get flaky and then just stopped. I have two cables I was using.
        Oh. Crap. That is a problem. I wonder if someone at a computer store has worked on those storage units.

Comment

• lkruper
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2015

Oh. Crap. That is a problem. I wonder if someone at a computer store has worked on those storage units.
          I emailed the manufacturer. They don't repair them. Looking at the unit, there are no screws and no apparent way to pry the case apart.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

I emailed the manufacturer. They don't repair them. Looking at the unit, there are no screws and no apparent way to pry the case apart.
            I checked for repair info but only found a video on the "juice box". I did see someone that posted a very bad review concerning the flimsy charging port on the powerstation.

Comment

• lkruper
              Solar Fanatic
              • May 2015

I checked for repair info but only found a video on the "juice box". I did see someone that posted a very bad review concerning the flimsy charging port on the powerstation.
              I was mad

Comment

• PNjunction
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2012

These are commodity items, and I'd suggest looking into the Anker brand as a replacement. Most importantly, they use good cells (not lifepo4 obviously, but other lithium chemistries) and are also built like a tank.

I commonly recommend them for the camping guys, and the IQ port makes cutting custom usb cables for the best power transfer mostly a thing of the past. Add the 14w Anker panel and you've got a quickie setup, yet still retaining some quality compared to much of the other junk you find out there.

Re the NoCo Ver2's "lithium" setting: this is intended primarily for 12v lifepo4 powersport / atv batteries, such as Shorai, Antigravity, Braille, and so forth. The voltage is limited to 14.2v, however under my testing, I suspect that they are following the lead-acid charge-voltage curve, and thus current is dropped back. For instance, on a 40ah lifepo4 discharged to 50% DOD, the current output from my 15A Noco was only 2A. Too slow for that large of a battery. Part of Noco's method is to purposely limit current during charge compared to the overall SOC, and doing so here with lifepo4 seems a bit too drastic - thus my suspicion that they are not truly following the lifepo4 voltage curve.

But it will get the job done if you have time. Personally, I recommend no more than a 20ah lifepo4 due to the limited amperage, which seems to be 2A max - at least at 50% DOD or higher. I haven't tried discharging past 50% and letting the Noco do it's thing. You could pick up a fully wired and configured version sans bms and all that from Batteryspace and elsewhere and you can now join the fun on a "learner" lifepo4 that is a bit larger than your average benchtop hack.

Note that Genasun CC's use 14.2v as the upper voltage limit too by default unless you order a custom built version.

Comment

• lkruper
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by PNjunction
                  These are commodity items, and I'd suggest looking into the Anker brand as a replacement. Most importantly, they use good cells (not lifepo4 obviously, but other lithium chemistries) and are also built like a tank.

I commonly recommend them for the camping guys, and the IQ port makes cutting custom usb cables for the best power transfer mostly a thing of the past. Add the 14w Anker panel and you've got a quickie setup, yet still retaining some quality compared to much of the other junk you find out there.

Re the NoCo Ver2's "lithium" setting: this is intended primarily for 12v lifepo4 powersport / atv batteries, such as Shorai, Antigravity, Braille, and so forth. The voltage is limited to 14.2v, however under my testing, I suspect that they are following the lead-acid charge-voltage curve, and thus current is dropped back. For instance, on a 40ah lifepo4 discharged to 50% DOD, the current output from my 15A Noco was only 2A. Too slow for that large of a battery. Part of Noco's method is to purposely limit current during charge compared to the overall SOC, and doing so here with lifepo4 seems a bit too drastic - thus my suspicion that they are not truly following the lifepo4 voltage curve.

But it will get the job done if you have time. Personally, I recommend no more than a 20ah lifepo4 due to the limited amperage, which seems to be 2A max - at least at 50% DOD or higher. I haven't tried discharging past 50% and letting the Noco do it's thing. You could pick up a fully wired and configured version sans bms and all that from Batteryspace and elsewhere and you can now join the fun on a "learner" lifepo4 that is a bit larger than your average benchtop hack.

Note that Genasun CC's use 14.2v as the upper voltage limit too by default unless you order a custom built version.
                  Thanks, just ordered the 2nd Gen Astro E7. Its higher capacity than Mophie and costs less!

Comment

Working...