LiFeYPO4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LiFeYPO4?

I just came across a local retailer that sells LiFeYPO4 banks, they claim 8000 cycles at 80% DOD, could this be for real or is it just marketing hype BS?

Originally posted by Mrburns View Post
    I just came across a local retailer that sells LiFeYPO4 banks, they claim 8000 cycles at 80% DOD, could this be for real or is it just marketing hype BS?
    Hard to tell. There are some marketing claims of very high cycle count at a high DOD% for LiFe batteries. How did the manufacturer determine that is the big question as well as if that data will hold true for in a real life condition.

Comment

You tell us. No LFP battery has seen more than 1500 cycles to date. It would take another 20 years to answer that question with a YES.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        You tell us. No LFP battery has seen more than 1500 cycles to date. It would take another 20 years to answer that question with a YES.
        If you only recognize testing which uses only one cycle per day, to best replicate PV/RE usage.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
          If you only recognize testing which uses only one cycle per day, to best replicate PV/RE usage.
          I hear you, but track records are not claims. Accelerated testing at a lab has one major flaw, it does not account for Calendar life, and real life abuse and negligence. The test is only an indicator of possible long cycle life, but there is no way to simulate 20 years of real life service. Flip side is Pb has a track record. Some manufactures tout 10 years service. It is not a claim, but a known fact. Maybe not common due to abuse, but well known it is possible to get 10 years on a quality Pb battery.

What I am saying is do you the OP: Do you want a sure thing, or gamble based on PR? LFP has a very short track record. For the type you are referring to have only been around on the market for 5-7 years. The track record thus far has not been real good.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Is the claimant the distributor, or the manufacturer itself?

Most importantly, do not become too excited at the 80% DOD spec for a solar installation! Yes, you can go there, but if you plan your system around that, you will have NO AUTONOMY, which is not wise. Most newcomers only familiar with the so-called "lead acid mentality" only think in terms of 0-XXX% DOD figures. No need to do that, as lifepo4 easily tolerates and actually promotes partial-state-of-charge operations!

In the case of lifeYpo4, that indicates yttrium, used by Winston. Do not confuse with earlier Thundersky cells, which are no longer made. Winston made several immediate improvements to them.

Interested in the user's manual?

http://en.winston-battery.com/index....ownload-center

Found here, this will help. Remember, *extreme* upper and lower ratings do NOT mean you have to use them under normal circumstances.

Comment

Thank you for the replies, I guess I'll just re-ask the question in 20 years

I checked out the manufacturer's manual from PNjunction's link, they say over 3000 cycles (whatever that means), so I guess the retailer that I found was just pulling the 8000 cycle claim out of his bumm..

Comment

Thank you for the replies, I guess I'll just re-ask the question in 20 years

I checked out the manufacturer's manual from PNjunction's link, they say over 3000 cycles (whatever that means), so I guess the retailer that I found was just pulling the 8000 cycle claim out of his bumm..
                Well if accurate that 3000 "cycle" would be over 8 years if discharged at some DOD% and recharged back to 100% daily. But when it comes to LiFe chemistry who knows what they mean.

I really doubt any battery could last 8000 cycles at once a day. That comes to over 21 years.

I would really like the hard definition of what they mean by a "cycle".
                Last edited by SunEagle; 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                X