LiFePO4 - The future for off-grid battery banks?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Living Large
    Generally true, however everyone's situation is a bit different.
    You are a niche case that can justify the expense, and you know damn well you are taking a huge Risk with LFP. I can only give you the facts so you can make an informed purchase decision. One more thing you need to know because it applies to you. LFP does not work worth a damn in cold weather, and by cold with LFP I mean 32 degrees or lower. Once you get to Zero degrees, LFP is almost unusable. FLA and AGM are usable down to -40 F, just reduced capacity. -40 with LFP is a cold dark day without any power.

EV folks know this fact and why they install heating pads inside ventilated battery boxes for their EV batteries or park them in a heated garage using AC power. Look at commercial EV's and they use both heating and cooling for their batteries. One company tried it without thermal management, and got burned. Ask Nissan what it cost them to learn that fact.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
      I can only give you the facts so you can make an informed purchase decision.
      You did that Dereck, and I am very grateful for all the advice you have offered. I have it all on file, just in case. Correct - mine is a niche case. That's my life story.

One more thing you need to know because it applies to you. LFP does not work worth a damn in cold weather, and by cold with LFP I mean 32 degrees or lower. Once you get to Zero degrees, LFP is almost unusable. FLA and AGM are usable down to -40 F, just reduced capacity. -40 with LFP is a cold dark day without any power.
      Yep - absolutely it applies. My intent from the start was to never have my basement going below 40 degrees, worst case. That was with FLA. I was shooting higher for LFP. But that assumes all the backup systems are in place, and I have unlimited time to babysit. That plan is on hold.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

You did that Dereck, and I am very grateful for all the advice you have offered. I have it all on file, just in case. Correct - mine is a niche case. That's my life story.

Yep - absolutely it applies. My intent from the start was to never have my basement going below 40 degrees, worst case.
        40 and higher to 70 is no problem for any battery really. Only difference between battery types would be percentage of capacity loss. Capacity Loss may bee the wrong term because it is only temporary. Perhaps Not Available would be better. When the battery warms up, that capacity now becomes available again. So take that into consideration when sizing batteries.

Edit:

Before I forget I wanted to say I think you are doing a great job doing your homework. It will payoff because you only have to do it once to get it right.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2014

Before I forget I wanted to say I think you are doing a great job doing your homework. It will payoff because you only have to do it once to get it right.
          Thanks. After I got done with a draft solar design, finding an economical POCO solution became a higher priority. That was its own lengthy process, in dealing with the POCO to figure out how encumbrance works, the state DEC and Army Corps for wetlands, the town for floodplain, and now finally getting through my HOA - which could be my downfall "just because". Just because someone with power 1 mi away in the development doesn't want us on the fringe to have the luxury of power by running a line 50' over an impassible creek - a crossing nobody can see because it is all private property except the impassible creek. And the adjacent lot owners are all in approval. Oh, the the feds just listed a brown winged or brown nosed bat or some such, and you can only cut trees from Oct to Feb or some such. Oct 1 is coming - I have my chainsaw warmed up if the HOA gives the green light! It's been a long haul, but background work has been critical. Both for solar and POCO in this case.

Comment

• PNjunction
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2012

LFP does not work worth a damn in cold weather, and by cold with LFP I mean 32 degrees or lower. Once you get to Zero degrees, LFP is almost unusable. FLA and AGM are usable down to -40 F, just reduced capacity. -40 with LFP is a cold dark day without any power.
            Agreed. I wouldn't want to take them below 32F. However, at our "Sub-C" rate, one might be able to have a bit more tolerance especially for discharge. But yep, sub-freeze is a bummer.

We're all just in an endless absorb cycle here. Same stuff every day. FLA rules. AGM and Lifepo4 suck and should be avoided at all cost.

Frankly, I'd just ban all threads about anything but FLA to keep the peace.

Comment

• solar pete
              Administrator
              • May 2014

Originally posted by PNjunction
              Agreed. I wouldn't want to take them below 32F. However, at our "Sub-C" rate, one might be able to have a bit more tolerance especially for discharge. But yep, sub-freeze is a bummer.

We're all just in an endless absorb cycle here. Same stuff every day. FLA rules. AGM and Lifepo4 suck and should be avoided at all cost.

Frankly, I'd just ban all threads about anything but FLA to keep the peace.
              yeh, I dont know about that, healthy debate and all that but I get your point that we seem to be going over the same old ground over and over but what do you do,

Comment

• PNjunction
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2012

I don't know either except to perhaps set up a thread or sub-forum that is filled ONLY with the technical side. Typically for lifepo4 something one would use in our solar application like a large prismatic array, and not hundreds of cylindrical laptop-pulls, crashed car batteries, or any variation that you can't get from a normal non-hacker battery dealer.

Financial, political, veiled sales, non-"Sub-C" applications can be dealt with outside the purely technical thread/subforum, where a user can make up his own mind if they want to tread through all that.

Same goes for AGM perhaps. Reserve a purely technical thread / subforum, and leave the slugfests to more general purpose cheerleading / naysaying outlets ?

Comment

• Bala
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2010

Its been a long thread with a lot of crap in it. But in between the crap there has been a lot of good info.

I live off grid and will be doing so for some time to come. My current batteries are over 9 years old and seem to be ok still but we will see how they are after this summer.

So I am preparing for new batteries and LifePO4 need to be factored in as a possibility.

If I needed to replace my batteries tomorrow I would simply get a new set of FLA just probably a little smaller than the current ones. Main reason for that is the simplicity. I would not need to change any hardware etc, learn how to look after a different type of battery and teach the wife how to.

I will however be watching and learning about Lifepo4 as if I am lucky I may get another year or two from my batteries and things can change quickly.

Just saw on FB that telsa sets are supposed to be avail in Australia by the end of the year.

Comment

• Willy T
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2014

The two best post's in the whole thread were made by Sun King, post #'s 239 & 229. While the technical side is interesting to some, it still comes down to cost and the ease of use. LFP's have advantages, but if you cannot exploit them , your wasting your money.

Comment

• Living Large
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by solar pete
                      yeh, I dont know about that, healthy debate and all that but I get your point that we seem to be going over the same old ground over and over but what do you do,
                      A sticky with a comprehensive look at all the chemistries used in solar applications, and the various considerations, limitations, etc when using each?

Since everyone agrees on, for example, cycle life vs DOD for FLA, how to balance LFP, etc, arguments would be eliminated.

Maybe a few stickies... to include dissenting opinions like the Supreme Court does Now that might be a good idea.

Comment

• donald
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2015

It seems to me that the interest in commercial applications of LiFePO4 has decreased since this thread was started. Whatever replaces FLA in solar will include a BMS and will probably be largely "turn key".
                        Didn't the Chevy Volt abandon LiFePO4?
                        NCA appears certain to be preeminent over LiFePO4 for solar. But I suspect long term that the major technology will be something like flow batteries.
                        LiFePO4 seems increasingly destined for the hobby niche.
                        I'm glad I don't have the need to choose a large solar battery system today. Any choice available today is likely to produce regrets in a few years.

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by donald
                          LiFePO4 seems increasingly destined for the hobby niche.
                          No another Lithium type took root in hobby applications several years ago and today LiPo Pouch Cells dominate the RC market. That antiquated the NiMh and NiCd market a long time ago. For commercial products, LiFePo4 really does no have much in the way of a market out there. Only one commercial EV manufacture (Fiskars) out there ever tried to use them and went bankrupt before they ever sold a car. Power tools, laptops, cell phones all pretty much use a version of LiCo.

When it comes to LiFePO4 aka LFP prismatic is still looking for a market. They will never be mainstream in EV's, Laptops, Cell Phones, Power Tools or Medical Devices because there are much better choices available today. LFP is pretty much a niche market of DIY EV and DIY Solar or Sheep being led to Slaughter. Reason is simple DIY cannot afford the good stuff, or the required equipment like thermal management and BMS it takes to make it work. Let alone even having the knowledge to put it all together in a working package. At least not in the USA because Americans cannot spell MATH or SCIENCE let alone ever stepped foot into a Class Room. Americans are to concerned with PC and afraid of offending anyone when they should be shaming and slaughtering the PC crowd.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Living Large
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2014

For commercial products, LiFePo4 really does no have much in the way of a market out there. Only one commercial EV manufacture (Fiskars) out there ever tried to use them and went bankrupt before they ever sold a car. Power tools, laptops, cell phones all pretty much use a version of LiCo.

When it comes to LiFePO4 aka LFP prismatic is still looking for a market. They will never be mainstream in EV's, Laptops, Cell Phones, Power Tools or Medical Devices because there are much better choices available today. LFP is pretty much a niche market of DIY EV and DIY Solar or Sheep being led to Slaughter.
                            Hmm, when deciding to use LFP, it didn't occur to me that I might be picking a chemistry that in 5 years might not be available in the same format as what I bought first time, may be less in use than it is currently, etc. Seems like that may be something to consider. Going it alone has an a certain allure, but a risk.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

Hmm, when deciding to use LFP, it didn't occur to me that I might be picking a chemistry that in 5 years might not be available in the same format as what I bought first time, may be less in use than it is currently, etc. Seems like that may be something to consider. Going it alone has an a certain allure, but a risk.
                              Most of the Utility scale energy storage system are using Lithium Ion chemistry. One of those is the 30MW system that GE is installing in California's Imperial Valley.

Still for the home owner going with any Li chemistry will be very expensive and hard to justify.

Comment

• PNjunction
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Willy T
                                LFP's have advantages, but if you cannot exploit them , your wasting your money.
                                Willy I apologize since I didn't know you already had them.

However, I think your evaluation of LFP being nothing special means you have your blinders on. Not being surprised is a good thing actually.

OUT OF THE BOX, the extremely low IR, lower than even the best of high performance agm's, means that recharge is more efficient, especially compared to FLA, which is pretty important in my book in regards to solar.

Not having to maintain them at a high SOC to deal with sulfation issues is an out of the box plus. You can also let your hydrometer get dusty. You can walk away from them for a year or more with a relatively low to medium SOC and not worry about it and just pick up where you left off.

Higher voltage under load - again beating even the best agm's (UNLESS you are sub-freezing), means your inverters and other gear run at a higher efficiency and cooler.

Speaking of cooler, there is no temp-comp to deal with, so getting this wrong, or omitting it altogether like some might do with lead, means less chance for error.

Back to low IR - oversizing your solar array, either by accident or design, means you aren't wasting panel power by going over the typical C/8 max like you would for FLA, and the only penalty is that you are charging faster! (within reason - no more than 1C. Heh, don't make a 1C mistake with FLA). Again, 1C is for large prismatics, unless you WANT to pay even more for larger capabilities - which only means you sized your bank too small, or are taking advice from those outside our solar-storage application.

If I was retired and could live with my FLA's, maintenance could be a lot of fun and a hobby unto itself to actually wring the published cycle life out of them instead of murdering them. However, if one has a life to lead, lifepo4 done right, certainly beats a badly maintained fla bank.

This is why I don't think you have properly evaluated your bank at all. The above became immediately apparent when I used a lowly benchtop unit, so I'm at a loss as to how you could miss this, since you are better than that. While my gear isn't lab quality, I do have the means to see it and at least baseline them for performance and see the improvement over my beloved pure-lead agm's.

The most disturbing part to lifepo4 to me, is that the fact that it has become BORING. It just works without me having to nanny it, but like any reasonable battery setup, common sense monitoring and safety concerns are in place. To bring back the spice, I'm doing crazy crap like purposely abusing an SLI just for fun, questioning my sanity for not just chucking my lead.

What is also sad is that if I read between the lines, the lurker for honest information is left out of the loop trying to decide what is real, and what is a logic-trap setup that doesn't take these factors into account - mostly from outside our relatively low voltage / low current application, like hacker trash, EV and other motive-power concerns.

THIS is what can make the up-front cost reasonable, when you look at the overall life-cycle of the product itself, the things that it powers, and the operational freedom that pays off in the end. But yes, nobody has gone 10 years yet, I'll admit that. But I'll say that when that time comes, it won't be satisfactory to some unless a century has passed.

Benchtop unit indeed. Get one. Take the blinders off.

Comment

Working...