Lithium Sulfer batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium Sulfer batteries

Here is an article documenting advances in Lithium Sulfer technology that may allow them to go 2000 cycles.
    http://phys.org/news/2015-01-chemist...r-battery.html

Lots of research into battery technology - exciting.

Interesting and it may indeed have some merit down the line.
    But at the moment it is an academic experimental result that at best will need expensive engineering and testing to make it manufactureable and get it into production. I will cheer but not hold my breath.
    It is good to see fundamental research being done on new (or old but impractical) chemistries.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by inetdog View Post
      Interesting and it may indeed have some merit down the line.
      But at the moment it is an academic experimental result that at best will need expensive engineering and testing to make it manufactureable and get it into production. I will cheer but not hold my breath.
      It is good to see fundamental research being done on new (or old but impractical) chemistries.
      Yes - I found the nanotechnology spin on an old idea refreshing. Only time will tell. I don't know how my brother finds this stuff, but last week he sent me a link for liquid metal batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Living Large View Post
        Yes - I found the nanotechnology spin on an old idea refreshing. Only time will tell. I don't know how my brother finds this stuff, but last week he sent me a link for liquid metal batteries.
        If you look hard and long you can find all types of research on different "chemistry" energy storage systems. Most are still in the "lab" phase and others in "Beta" testing but very very few have made it to the commercial side.

I too keep looking and hoping for the breakthrough but like russ I will not hold my breath.

Comment

The researchers have to push and sometimes add a bit of blather to get funding.

Other times some blogger gets some half baked information and being stupid just runs with it.

We just have to remember that 99% plus percent of the time it all comes to nothing - that fraction of a percent is what will make the difference.

The ones making the difference are not to be found on the crowd funding sites though. This is big business and big bucks.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post

Other times some blogger gets some half baked information and being stupid just runs with it.

We just have to remember that 99% plus percent of the time it all comes to nothing - that fraction of a percent is what will make the difference.

The ones making the difference are not to be found on the crowd funding sites though. This is big business and big bucks.
            I agree. I am seeing more being done by the Utilities about using some type of "energy storage system" at grid level voltage.

They know that they need to have something in place to keep the voltage and frequency from dropping when an RE generator stops. So first they try to limit the % of connections of RE to their grid, followed by locating "storage" at critical sights. Keeping the grid happy using "batteries" may be expensive but could also be cheaper than running a "peaker" generator all the time for those "just in case" times.

Comment

As Dereck pointed out to me weeks ago, you invent the next great battery and you (your company) will be bestowed with unimaginable wealth. Stands to reason lots of people are trying.

It does stimulate the imagination a bit, to look at what the industrious people are doing. However, I can appreciate that you folks see a lot of things like this come and go.

Comment

The value of being able to time shift baseline (cheap) power to prime use times is fantastic - the utilities and or their suppliers are after this big time. The same ones that make the gas turbines are probably the most interested - say GE, Siemens and on.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

The value of being able to time shift baseline (cheap) power to prime use times is fantastic - the utilities and or their suppliers are after this big time. The same ones that make the gas turbines are probably the most interested - say GE, Siemens and on.
                  Agreed and is potentially very big business. Ambri is another company that has developed a molten salt battery where the target is for grid storage. There is an interesting video about battery storage technology and Ambri here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czgu...ature=youtu.be

When talking batteries, it all comes down to life span and cost, providing the batteries are relatively efficient and are responsive.

Comment

Originally posted by northerner View Post
                    Agreed and is potentially very big business. Ambri is another company that has developed a molten salt battery where the target is for grid storage. There is an interesting video about battery storage technology and Ambri here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czgu...ature=youtu.be

When talking batteries, it all comes down to life span and cost.
                    A few years ago a Professor Donald Sadoway at MIT was developing a liquid metal battery. Looked promising but I have yet to see any emergence as a viable product. Now I see that the same company Ambri is still looking at this technology.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                      A few years ago a Professor Donald Sadoway at MIT was developing a liquid metal battery. Looked promising but I have yet to see any emergence as a viable product. Now I see that the same company Ambri is still looking at this technology.
                      Yes, it takes a long time and a lot of capital to create a new battery technology and bring the product out to market

Comment

Originally posted by northerner View Post
                        Yes, it takes a long time and a lot of capital to create a new battery technology and bring the product out to market
                        I agree. I guess we can wait a little longer.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                          Yes - this is the other company and product my brother told me about. Ambri. Liquid Metal. I looked it up, and it seems they are a ways off.

Comment

Working...
                          X