Floating an AGM battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating an AGM battery

I keep a 12V 35 Ah AGM battery in the garage for various infrequent and brief projects. With my last battery I just left it on a Harbor Freight Cen-Tech cheapo float/maintainer box and that seemed to work pretty well, but I wonder if I might get improved life if I just put it on the charge for a day or two at a time. In other words, would I be better off if I only connected it for a couple days when the voltage got down to a certain level (say 12.X volts) or after a certain amount of time (say X weeks)? If I would be better off, what would be the best voltage or interval?

I must say, the forum has changed a lot since back when I used to be a frequenter here although I see a few familiar names. Going to have to nose around and catch up.

Being that AGM batteries have much better shelf life than FLA batteries I would avoid any Cheapo maintainer and give a full charge every 4 - 6 months..
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

Just remember that each time those AGM's discharge you need to drop a cycle from it's life. While they may last longer then FLA type as litteharbor2 states they will still lose life just sitting there.

I would not trust those AGM's to provide their nameplate amp hours after a couple of years so plan accordingly.

Comment

Working...
      X