Forklift battery Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forklift battery Questions

I'm looking into buying a forklift battery for an off grid system.

I found a new GB industrial 985 AH@20hr 24-125-11

There is also a GB 24-85-13 803 AH@20hr and it is less amp hours, but more expensive.

Will the second battery last longer than the first, and what's so special about it that makes it more expensive?

Is GB a decent brand, or can anyone make any recommendations for a new forklift battery?

If the ah is 985, what is the max amount of panels can I run to this battery? A kwh calculator shows 47.2 Kwh

If I had 30 panels at 280 watts each, that's 8400 watts. So it would need 5.62 hours peak sunlight to charge the forklift battery if it is discharged to 0%. Not saying you should go that low, I'm just trying to grasp the concept.

Is this too much panel or not enough? Thanks
    Last edited by Fullblast; 08-08-2021, 10:31 PM.

You need enough panel to be able supply about 10% of the battery capacity. 985ah needs (in the ballpark) 98 amps delivered. Assume the PV array will be about 70% efficient over the day,
    98A @ 62V charging voltage = 6076watts harvest ( or about 8500w of panels ) in full sun. Less conditions will need even more panels. And if you ever discharged to 0% you will need to run a generator ( about a 12kw genset w/ forklift charger ) to get them recharged in time ( before they sulfate )
    The batteries will have a max charge rate, which is often 10% of capacity ( C ), the data sheet for your specific battery will state the recharge voltage and amps
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I would recommend you figure out a kilowatt hour need and plan for how big a battery bank based off your worst case need, my guess that would be short winter days with poor energy production unless the need for electricity is so much greater in the summer. Take this and check in an off grid calculator like here:

JRC Photovoltaic Geographical Information System (PVGIS) - European Commission (europa.eu)

Where you are in the world makes a big difference:

Solar Off-Grid Battery Design - Solar Panels - Solar Panels Forum (solarpaneltalk.com)

With your comment on 5.62 hours to recharge from 0%, I'm unfamiliar with FLA lead acid batteries, but the max charge for my Trojan FLA is 13% or 8 hours at full amperage. So, unless the charge rate is different for your batteries, may need more than 8 hours to charge them. It's be very hard to deliver 128 amp for 8 hours straight with solar panels if the max charge rate was 13%. Whatever that max charge rate is, you can't exceed that. You can plan to maximize amp production with arrays aligned at different angles. Overall, this would probably produce less than the maximum possible output of the arrays, but keep the constant power production closer to this "128 Amps."

I don't think there's a lot of people using forklift batteries out there. More will be like myself that have a few golf cart batteries. So, I don't think you'll find the exact model you're looking at.

Comment

I work on forklifts
        and a lot of electric ones..

ive never worked with GB batterys.. lots of time with Energsys, and Dekka

So i work with all sorts of 24,36,and 48 volt systems....

Ultimately at the end of the day, a single D series 36v battery (*some 3,000 lbs) thats my goal

the only reason i like the industrial battery's, is because the cells are removable and can be replaced individually

I spend a lot of times watching battery's being beat to ground.. what they can take is pretty amazing,

Ive seen them go in to melt down, Ive seen cells explode, I feel very comfy with them

these industrial battery's can be charged at 190A+ *they get hot.. and they do gas,
        Last edited by Burning2nd; 08-11-2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
          You need enough panel to be able supply about 10% of the battery capacity. 985ah needs (in the ballpark) 98 amps delivered. Assume the PV array will be about 70% efficient over the day,
          98A @ 62V charging voltage = 6076watts harvest ( or about 8500w of panels ) in full sun. Less conditions will need even more panels. And if you ever discharged to 0% you will need to run a generator ( about a 12kw genset w/ forklift charger ) to get them recharged in time ( before they sulfate )
          The batteries will have a max charge rate, which is often 10% of capacity ( C ), the data sheet for your specific battery will state the recharge voltage and amps
          Thank you Mike. I was pretty sure I needed a forklift battery charger, but didn't realize it would take a 12kw generator to push it.

Im wanting to design a system that you can run a 1500 watt space heater 24/7 in the winter if need be. A window unit ac and possibly an RV rooftop ac in the summer. Also an RV fridge and led Lights, computer, appliances and possibly a few mining rigs in the daytime.

I live in Texas, so there's a lot of sun,so it rarely gets really cold in the winter.
          I'm moving to a property with no electricity access and I want a big enough system with room to grow later to power a small house and shop.

Ive been reading that forklift batteries can last 15-20 years if properly maintained. Is this true or just a bunch of hype?

Last edited by Fullblast; 08-11-2021, 11:41 PM.

Comment

I have a pallet jack.... Crown

Comment

Originally posted by Burning2nd View Post
              I work on forklifts
              and a lot of electric ones..

ive never worked with GB batterys.. lots of time with Energsys, and Dekka

So i work with all sorts of 24,36,and 48 volt systems....

Ultimately at the end of the day, a single D series 36v battery (*some 3,000 lbs) thats my goal

the only reason i like the industrial battery's, is because the cells are removable and can be replaced individually

I spend a lot of times watching battery's being beat to ground.. what they can take is pretty amazing,

Ive seen them go in to melt down, Ive seen cells explode, I feel very comfy with them

these industrial battery's can be charged at 190A+ *they get hot.. and they do gas,
              A pallet jack will work. Might be difficult moving a 1.2 ton battery around on dirt and grass with it though.

What makes you want to choose a 36v battery over a 48v?

I'm Going to have a look at the Deka forklift batteries.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Fullblast View Post

Thank you Mike. I was pretty sure I needed a forklift battery charger, but didn't realize it would take a 12kw generator to push it.

Im wanting to design a system that you can run a 1500 watt space heater 24/7 in the winter if need be. A window unit ac and possibly an RV rooftop ac in the summer.
                Ive been reading that forklift batteries can last 15-20 years if properly maintained. Is this true or just a bunch of hype?
                If you want to charge the batteries at a reasonable rate, and not cook the generator, 12kw would be the smallest I'd go. Unless you want to take days with a trickle charge, in which case you won't even get 10 years.

Look into a efficient heat pump, instead of resistive heat. And it's air cond for the summer, Mini-Split systems are popular off grid

Battery Life. depends on how you maintain them. Keep them charged, never below 50% and you should be good for 10+ years. And you just change out the one weak cell.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
                X