X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

Battery Desulphinator

Reading through the links ( a few are dead) it sounds like a desulphinator is a good investment for my forklift batteries. They will not be getting a lot of use until I hook them up to my house generator panel. Right now I charge up my plug in hybrid that pulls about 18 KWh total charge over 12 hours (limited to 8 amp hour draw). The batteries are just over 500 amp hours each at 48 volts so each EV charge is knocking them down around 40 percent over 12 hours of charging. My question since I have two batteries in parallel should I buy two?. It sounds like it does it work over a period of days or weeks to knock deposits off the battery so could I just swap it every month or so when I am doing other battery maintenance?. Unless I start the diesel the batteries recharge with 2500 KW of PV over the next few sunny days.

The other question is I have Midnight Solar Classic charge controller controlling the batteries. Any chance of confusing it with a desulphfinator?.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

MPPT controllers can be upset by any device you add into the charging path. You will have to try it out and see. Some devices are able to work, with desulphators, some not.

but rather than hoping a desulphator will work, add some more solar PV to be able to fully recharge in a day or 2 at the most. The sooner the recharge, the less sulphation
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Fullblast
      • Jun 2021

What kind of de-sulphator did you end up getting for the forklift batteries?

There are $20 ones on up to the Pulse tech, battery minder, the Genius, up to the Battery life saver.

Does it matter if it's a cheap or expensive one or do they all basically do the same thing?

Did you notice an increase in performance of the batteries after using the de-sulphator?
      Last edited by Fullblast; 09-30-2021, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

I picked up a Pulsetech 48 volt unit. They have been around for awhile and seem to get good reviews. I do not push my batteries very much currently. IMO its preventative maintenance item.

Comment

• chrisski
          Solar Fanatic
          • May 2020

I’m not convinced these help.

I had a pulsetech tiny solar panel for my car to help with parasitic discharge. This was good for up to 24 volt batteries.

It also claimed desulphator. I don’t know how well it worked. Heresay, but did not make my small battery last any longer or shorter. Still died in 2.5 years give or take a month or two as is typical for an Arizona battery baking in the sun.

Unless it interferes with charging, it can’t hurt to try for $20.

Comment

Working...