X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeF
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Is this battery a deep cycle battery?

What do you think of this battery. Printed on the battery as "deep cycle battery".

As far as I know a (true) deep cycle battery is not suitable for float-service (UPS).
    So is a UPS battery not suitable for solar offgrid use. When you cycle a UPS battery daily it won't last long.

Can someone tell me from the available data on the attached screenprint if this battery is a deep cycle cyclic use battery?
    Attached Files
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

If they claim it does both types of service well then I would not be buying them myself. Unless something new has been invented, I do not know of a battery that can do both satisfactorily.
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I agree with azdave. That battery may be designed for a UPS system and not a solar where it would see daily discharges.

Comment

• chrisski
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2020

I think this is a gel or VRLA battery. Those tend to be good for long storage with limited usage in outages.

The particular battery I looked at was a gel made by Renogy, which had discharge data of lasting 1000 cycles at only a 30% discharge rate. My Trojan flooded lead acid batteries are 3500 cycles at 30% or 2000 cycles at 50%.

The battery you showed is missing discharge data. I think more complete data sheet is necessary before you buy a battery.

Comment

• GeorgeF
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by chrisski
          I think this is a gel or VRLA battery. Those tend to be good for long storage with limited usage in outages.

The particular battery I looked at was a gel made by Renogy, which had discharge data of lasting 1000 cycles at only a 30% discharge rate. My Trojan flooded lead acid batteries are 3500 cycles at 30% or 2000 cycles at 50%.

The battery you showed is missing discharge data. I think more complete data sheet is necessary before you buy a battery.
          Yup, I understand that FLA true deep cycle scores much higher cycles comparing to VRLA and is still very popular in the offgrid world. Best buck per Kwh.

Ref the screenprint, perhaps they deliberately not printed the life cycle data and the description is just a marketing style description. Innocent prospects can be a victim.

Thanks for all the above reactions.

Comment

Working...