Maybe there is still some life in Lead Acid.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Maybe there is still some life in Lead Acid.

After 8 years as Chief Technical Officer for Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL) Robert Galyen is joining the Advisory Board of this manufacturer of Lead Acid batteries.
    Galyen, former CTO of CATL, the world’s largest battery company, to assist Tydrolyte in bringing its disruptive lead battery technology to market.

During his tenure at CATL, it became China's largest manufacturer of Lithium batteries for electric vehicles. They have partnered with Tesla to use their LFP batteries in Teslas manufactured in China.
    Last edited by Ampster; 05-26-2020, 10:37 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Green mafia alive and well.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ampster
      After 8 years as Chief Technical Officer for Contemporary Amperex Technology (CATL) Robert Galyen is joining the Advisory Board of this manufacturer of Lead Acid batteries.
      Galyen, former CTO of CATL, the world’s largest battery company, to assist Tydrolyte in bringing its disruptive lead battery technology to market.

During his tenure at CATL, it became the worlds largest manufacturer of Lithium batteries. They have partnered with Tesla to use their LFP batteries in Teslas manufactured in China.
      So ?

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

So ?

Comment

• PNjunction
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2012

As much as I like LFP, I will say this:

Q? Where do all the dead li-ion battery carcasses go? Since nothing of financial value is gained in recycling, it ends up in a mound somewhere in China. Or in our local dumps. LFP not so bad, but the majority of li-ion batts - not so good in our dumps.

Q? Why will lead-acid always be around? Despite it's lower initial performance and lifespan, chances are you are using the recycled lead from your grandfather's Buick at some point in your life.

Ever try to bring your LFP prismatics back to Auto-zone for recycling? Uh yeah, no. Ever have them rejected even by your local hazardous waste roundup because they look too industrial?

I guess what I'm saying from the usual "lead acid is so toxic" argument is that they are EASY to recycle, and actually a crime not to in most modern areas. Don't place them next to baby cribs. Do not lick. Simply wash hands to avoid toxicity.

And this is coming from an LFP guy!

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

During his tenure at CATL, it became the worlds largest manufacturer of Lithium batteries. They have partnered with Tesla to use their LFP batteries in Teslas manufactured in China.
            What a pack of lies from the Green Mafia. Not a word of truth to it. Just simple fact checks and common sense tell you it is fabrication and fake news.

LG Chem is the largest, and Tesla does not make or use LFP batteries. Tesla uses Panasonic NCA batteries they make under license from Panasonic..

Typical Green Mafia garbage.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
              ......... Not a word of truth to it. .........

LG Chem is the largest, and Tesla does not make or use LFP batteries. Tesla uses Panasonic NCA batteries they make under license from Panasonic..
              Yes, LG Chem has the largest market capitalization and I am changing my post, I am also checking recent reports as to who is the worlds largest. There are probably several measures of largest. Market Cap, Total Revenue, battery revenue or megaWatt hours of production or capacity. I should have been more specifice. They have been described as China's biggest electric vehicle battery manufacturere in this article which talks about their recent deal with Tesla:
              https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Ene...ing-Tesla-deal

I have corrected my original post. I can say that Tesla has never used Panasonic NCA batteries and I can provide a link to a conversation we had some time ago in which you were proven wrong by several posters. Do you need a link to refresh your memory.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

l[/URL]
                I have corrected my original post
                Trying cover up your lies. Please try and while you are at it, tell Panasonic Tesla did not use Panasonic NRA 18650A cells until 2012 model year when they switched to a much safer 2170 NMC version from Panasonic under license..
                Last edited by Sunking; 05-26-2020, 10:51 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Sunking

Trying cover up your lies. Please try and while you are at it, tell Panasonic Tesla did not use Panasonic NRA 18650A cells until 2012 model year when they switched to a much safer 2170 NMC version from Panasonic under license..
                  I can see you are already backpedding and trying in say it was 2012 but in 2019 you were adamant that it was still Panasonic NCR. The the switch to 2170 did not occur until later until the Model 3.
                  You called me a liar on the thread in in 2019. Any one who is interested can find it. It was your last post in March 2019
                  @jflorey2 quoted a published paper that clarified that Tesla did not use Panasonic NCR cells. ,
                  Last edited by Ampster; 05-27-2020, 02:44 AM.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

Yes, LG Chem has the largest market capitalization and I am changing my post, I am also checking recent reports as to who is the worlds largest. There are probably several measures of largest. Market Cap, Total Revenue, battery revenue or megaWatt hours of production or capacity. .......
                    In terms of production capacity ranked by "Megafactory" size as of January 2019 this chart was prepared by Benchmark Minerals Intelligence Top-5-lithium-ion-battery-plants-by-capacity (1).jpeg

I don't have a horse in this race, I will let the reader reach his own conclusion about what metric is important to them. You can barely read it but the LG Chem factory on the right is in Poland. Tesla is in the US and the rest are in China.
                    Last edited by Ampster; 05-26-2020, 11:58 PM.

Comment

• inetdog
                      Super Moderator
                      • May 2012

Note also that this does not rank total size of the companies production as highlighted by the two megafactory entries for CATL and for LG Chem.
                      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by inetdog
                        Note also that this does not rank total size of the companies production as highlighted by the two megafactory entries for CATL and for LG Chem.
                        Here is another by capacity which shows the lead that LG Chem has even over its Chinese rivals. Things change rapidly as capacity ramps up. Several years ago BYD was described as the worlds largest but by some measure they may have been because the make a lot of smartphone batteries. I don't know the scale on the right but I think it is gigaWatthours.

Top-5-Lithium-ion-Battery-Producers-by-Capacity.jpeg

Here is a link to the entire study which says we are heading toward teraWatthours of capacity:
                        https://www.benchmarkminerals.com/wh...ery-arms-race/

Comment

Working...