• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNW_Steve
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2014

Long term storage of FLA batteries.

Hello Everyone,

I am shopping for 4 x L-16's for a project. I stumbled across a deal that will get me eight L-16's as a package for just a few dollars more than what I can get four for locally.

Great deal but I won't have any use for the other four until next year unless a new project comes up.

I am note sure yet but I believe that they shop dry and I have to add electrolyte. If this is correct, how would the shelf life be if I wait to add electrolyte untiil I need them?

Is there anything that I can fill the batteries with to extend shelf life?

Thanks Everyone.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Originally posted by PNW_Steve

Is there anything that I can fill the batteries with to extend shelf life?

Thanks Everyone.
    Sealed nylon bag and nitrogen purge, flush the cells first with nitrogen
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

I agree with Mike. Try to do everything you can to keep moisture out of those empty batteries.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Oxygen is the killer. Lead in the plates will turn bad when exposed to air, and simple tape over the caps won't prevent it. They have to be nitrogen flushed and sealed against oxygen,
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• PNW_Steve
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

Thanks Gentlemen.

I will be buying or renting a nitrogen tank for an HVAC project. It will be equipped with a regulator and 6' hose.

If I set the regulator at 10-15 psi and stick the hose in the top of each cell then replace the caps and keep the batteries upright will that be adequate for a year's storage?

I wouldn't have 100% displacement of the air but I should be able to keep it over 90%. That would leave less than 8% O2.

Comment

• Mike90250
            • May 2009

What we do at work (did) for test chambers, was use a 160 or 230 liter Liquid Nitrogen tank, and it will bleed N2 from the overpressure vent, which we used for purging. Tank was good for a month or more, just bleeding off N2
            With a regulator set to about 5PSI, you use a gas flow meter to regulate the purge gas to a couple liter /hr (of the dry gas, not liquid) . At work, our tank rental was about $50 per tank, but we used hundreds of them weekly.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
              What we do at work (did) for test chambers, was use a 160 or 230 liter Liquid Nitrogen tank, and it will bleed N2 from the overpressure vent, which we used for purging. Tank was good for a month or more, just bleeding off N2
              With a regulator set to about 5PSI, you use a gas flow meter to regulate the purge gas to a couple liter /hr (of the dry gas, not liquid) . At work, our tank rental was about $50 per tank, but we used hundreds of them weekly.
              I did a bit of checking and liquid nitrogen is a rare thing here. I found a place that is about 2-1/2 hours from here that will rent me a tank. Sometimes living in the sticks can be a pain

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by PNW_Steve

I did a bit of checking and liquid nitrogen is a rare thing here. I found a place that is about 2-1/2 hours from here that will rent me a tank. Sometimes living in the sticks can be a pain
                I use a mixture of nitrogen and argon in a small aerosol can to purge the oxygen out of wine bottles. It can be purchased online probably for less than the cost of gas for two round trips to rent nitrogen.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Argon is good too, but unless you have a way to hermetically seal the batteries in a O2 proof bag (nylon or triple layer metal polyester) you need a constant purge or at least weekly refresh, or your batteries are goners while simply being stored

Comment

• extrafu
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2016

With all that being said, wouldn't it be easier to just get the batteries flooded and put them on a a float charger for 1 year? Way easier and safer in my book than messing around with wraps/bags and gas and all that crap that *will fail* and ruin your batteries. Or just skip the deal and get an other, there are always other deals.

Comment

• Ampster
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2017

Great idea. Just the other day I tried to tell my significant other that there are always other deals. You can imagine how that turned out.LOL
                      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• extrafu
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2016

@Ampster They are always shopping so you will be fine

Comment

• PNW_Steve
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2014

Got a call from the vendor telling me that they will not honor the price on their website.

Back to shopping.

Comment

Working...