Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone has an Off Grid FLA battery run more than 10 years doing daily cycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone has an Off Grid FLA battery run more than 10 years doing daily cycle?

Hi guys,
    I have heard a lot of people said the battery bank last 8 to 10 years and so on. Is there any member of the forum or a client of the member of this forum has a working off grid FLA battery system run for more than 10 years or more like 15 years doing daily cycles still doing the job it was designed to do?

I would like to know the average daily DOD percentage and the brand and model of those batteries? anyone?

Thank you in advance.

NiFe going on 9 years, did a electrolyte flush last year, still going strong
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

A few moths ago I replaced a set of excide energy store that I had used for 12.5 years. They were still doing the job for me but I was going away for a month so put in new batteries.

While they were doing the job for me they were not in good shape. Quite a few cells were in poor condition and it was only that I dont use a lot of power and they were large capacity that I was getting by.

They worked in a hot humid environment and would have been well down on capacity of many years.

During their life I would only discharge them lightly, if in doubt I would run the generator and charge them.

So yes I had batteries for more than 10 years but they were initially designed for 10kwh a day (But we used a lot less) so no they were not capable of the job they were designed to do.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

Comment

I think you need to qualify your question and ask the life of the first set of batteries the person installed versus subsequent set of batteries. I have run into several folks over the years that learned the hard way that batteries have "rules" and if they break them they end up needing to replace them prematurely. I think the average off greenhorn off gridder rationalizes that "the rules" are merely suggestions and that as long as they follow the suggestions most of the time they will get the life. Usually after a premature replacement they "get religion" and follow the "rules" or the seemingly inevitable fire/smoke incident or likely divorce means they are no longer off grid . The NiFe option that Mike mentioned does have the value that despite their limitations, the reputation is they take a licking and keep on ticking no matter how badly they are treated.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
            I think you need to qualify your question and ask the life of the first set of batteries the person installed versus subsequent set of batteries. I have run into several folks over the years that learned the hard way that batteries have "rules" and if they break them they end up needing to replace them prematurely. I think the average off greenhorn off gridder rationalizes that "the rules" are merely suggestions and that as long as they follow the suggestions most of the time they will get the life. Usually after a premature replacement they "get religion" and follow the "rules" or the seemingly inevitable fire/smoke incident or likely divorce means they are no longer off grid . The NiFe option that Mike mentioned does have the value that despite their limitations, the reputation is they take a licking and keep on ticking no matter how badly they are treated.
            In short the "rules" mean that to get anywhere close to the manufactured posted number of cycles you have to make sure you do not exceed the DOD% on their spec sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
              What I am asking is a lot of people said their batteries last how many years. I want to know how are those batteries are used and how they been take care off. what is the DOD percentage and if they are truly cycled everyday. Any L16 class FLA for 10 years and The industrial class like Trojan IND series or Rolls Surrette 5000 series for 15 to 20 year in real life personal experience and not just heard from someone.

Comment

Working...
              X