Configuration/charging 24V system with 6V golf cart batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuration/charging 24V system with 6V golf cart batteries

I building a solar battery system soon for an off grid / dry camping/ boondocking camper.

I'm leaning towards a 24V system with a 24v to 12v converter to distribute the 12v power in the camper.

I've done some reading on 6V wired into a 12v configuration and the advantages of that. However I don't see anything about 6v array wired into a 24v configuration. Is there reason why? (hope not).

What are the disadvantages (and advantages) of configuring a 6v battery array like this?

thanks

I am very partial to using four 6V golf cart batteries wired in series, creating a 24V 200ah battery. The GC batteries are pretty cheap and rugged present a meaningful amount of power

To recharge them, you need a solar array of at least 30Vmp at 20A. Less solar increases the chances the batteries will not recharge fully and would begin to sulfate
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
      I am very partial to using four 6V golf cart batteries wired in series, creating a 24V 200ah battery. The GC batteries are pretty cheap and rugged present a meaningful amount of power

To recharge them, you need a solar array of at least 30Vmp at 20A. Less solar increases the chances the batteries will not recharge fully and would begin to sulfate
      thanks. I appreciate the response.

Comment

I have found 24 volt solutions for all of my DC loads except for my furnace. It is available in 24 volt but I got a killer deal on the 12 volt version. My lighting solution was pairs of 12 volt led's in series. Inverter and USB chargers are 24 volt.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
          I have found 24 volt solutions for all of my DC loads except for my furnace. It is available in 24 volt but I got a killer deal on the 12 volt version. My lighting solution was pairs of 12 volt led's in series. Inverter and USB chargers are 24 volt.
          thanks.

So perhaps this is a question for a different thread, but here goes.

If I have 6V battery array (8 batteries) at 200ah each.. I believe I will end up with 1/4 or 400ah total, of which about 60% is usable.
          If I use a 24v to 12v converter to downstep the voltage do the useful amp hours remain at 400ah or would it be 800ah?

thanks.

Comment

Four 6 volt / 200 amp hour batteries in series will yield a 24 volt / 200 amp hour bank.

if you connect two such banks in parallel you will have a 24 volt / 400 amp hour bank.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
              Four 6 volt / 200 amp hour batteries in series will yield a 24 volt / 200 amp hour bank.

if you connect two such banks in parallel you will have a 24 volt / 400 amp hour bank.
              thanks, and If I use a 24V to 12v converter to power the system do I still have 400ah?

Comment

Working...
              X