Adding and replacing lead acid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding and replacing lead acid

As I understood once you've installed a battery-bank with 12v batteries you can't replace one battery and/or adding a battery. Clear to me.

How about replacing a (bad) 2-volt battery in a string??

Originally posted by GeorgeF View Post
    As I understood once you've installed a battery-bank with 12v batteries you can't replace one battery and/or adding a battery. Clear to me.
    You can, but it's generally a stop-gap measure, and the rest of the bank may be on the way out. If the bank contains parallel batteries, the new one will quickly degrade to the "age" of the rest of the bank (physics of the way parallel batteries work)

How about replacing a (bad) 2-volt battery in a string??
    Again, it's feasible, and with the large 2V cells, they are likely to be more "professionally oriented" and be more rugged. it's also a likely indicator the rest of the string may soon suffer the same fate, and time to plan for a large investment soon. If early in the life of the bank, it's likely an infant failure and the replacement will be fine. But the older the bank, the more likelihood the first of several has "gone".
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Short clear constructive reply of a real pro hehe.
      Thanks Mike. I've learned again.

Comment

Working...
      X