No announcement yet.

Hydrometer readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After about 3 hours it looked like sludge. So I stopped it. I am going to buy new I think, two at a time until I have maxed the system out.
    Attached Files

Comment

Ooooh yeah. That looks nasty. Maybe let them sit for a bit and they'll settle back out, then you can try hooking then back up.

Save up until you can buy a full set at once, do not mix batteries of different age/cycles or you'll end up back here again.

Comment

I have found that reading hydrometer readings is really tough. I have 3 different hydrometers, of different types. I fight with the bubbles catching on the needle or float, or dragging on the sides of the cylinder. I can just about make it show readings that are high, low, or right on. Drive me crazy....

Comment

Originally posted by morgandc View Post
          I have found that reading hydrometer readings is really tough. I have 3 different hydrometers, of different types. I fight with the bubbles catching on the needle or float, or dragging on the sides of the cylinder. I can just about make it show readings that are high, low, or right on. Drive me crazy....
          I've had exactly the same experience. Finally decided to carefully clean the whole thing with ether (starting fluid) before taking accurate readings. I use a stick wrapped with a tissue and shoot some ether in the cylinder and spin it. Comes out spotless and dries instantly. Then do the same with the float. Super-carefully of course, very thin glass. This method is guaranteed to eliminate the "drag" and sticking that happens, especially important if the float doesn't" ride" smoothly or leans to one side.
          also, try to draw up and discharge only the required amount of fluid with each squeeze and no more. I personally feel it's more important to clean the hydro now and then as opposed to a simple rinse. The acid is gummy and will never come clean with a mere rinse, IMO. Also I do this over a piece of carpet I place inside an oil-change pan. Super convenient, too.

Comment

Working...
          X