MPPT settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPPT settings

Please bear with me, I'm still learning and I'm totally lost...

I have a 60A MPPT charge controller (not sure about the brand, it says CAe)

8x 100w Newpowa solar PV

3x 100Ah MightyMax 12v in parallel (spec sheet says 25A max charging ea, CC set to 60A)

At default my charge controller is set to charge my batteries to 13.8v float, 14.2v Equalizing. My batteries say "Cycle 14.5v-14.9v, Standby 13.6v-13.8v"

When I have a load connected and the array is in the 600w+ range the voltage sits at about 13.78v (one time I've seen it in the 14v+ range). When the array is not charging the batteries (or the load is greater than the charge) and I have a load on the voltage is usually below 13v.

I've never had solar before and have no idea if this is operating properly or if I need to change settings.

My concern is the cycle voltage and apparent lack of a setting for it on my CC. I've never seen it shift from MPPT charge to equalize. I'm wondering if it's fully charging my batteries.

Also, Ive set the under-voltage tp 12.1v so it doesn't drop below 50%. I've read on another blog that 12.1v is 50%.I don't know if this is true for all 12v AGM or if each battery is different.

Comment

We need more information
      Do the batteries have caps to add distilled water, or are they sealed

Really need a a brand/model of the charge controller

Are you using the batteries as cycle or float duty ?
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        We need more information
        Do the batteries have caps to add distilled water, or are they sealed

Really need a a brand/model of the charge controller

Are you using the batteries as cycle or float duty ?
        Thank you so much for answering.

Sorry, forgot to say they are AGM. The website for the charge controller is www.one-inverter.com. The make/model is CAE (MT 60A model). My charge controller appears to be charging as float during cycle use based on the 13.8v cap during charging. Charge controller onlly has options to adjust float and equalize voltage. Don't know if this is normal for a charge controller or if this one is just a POS.

During the day they have a constant load from a 1500w Vertamax 12v 1500w pure sine inverter (won't ever use over 600w-700w) 5.2A 200w grow light, a couple small USB intake/exhaust fans, and I use it to charge 2.1A-6.3A phone/bluetooth speakers during peak hours.

I have some ugly shade issues I can't get around. Oaks block the light till 10am, then pines shade a lot after 3pm. I set up an 800w array in 4 strings of 2x 100w panels to best utilize the short window of unobstructed sunlight. More than enough to top off the batteries for the day.

Thanks again for the response. If you need anymore detailed info on any components, please let me know.
        Last edited by SmithsJunk; 04-23-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

You MUST find a way to DISABLE the EQ Cycle, or you will destroy the sealed battery. Or get a modern controller that will allow you to set that.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
            You MUST find a way to DISABLE the EQ Cycle, or you will destroy the sealed battery. Or get a modern controller that will allow you to set that.
            That's probably why it never equalizes when set to VRLA auto.

Comment

Yup, the CC disables EQ in the settings when set to auto VRLA.
              Last edited by SmithsJunk; 04-23-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

A fully charged lead acid 12 volt battery with no load and no charging will stabilize at around 12.8 volts. I wouldn't worry that the voltage gets into the 12.x volt range at night.
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
                  A fully charged lead acid 12 volt battery with no load and no charging will stabilize at around 12.8 volts. I wouldn't worry that the voltage gets into the 12.x volt range at night.
                  Ok, cool, thank you for putting my mind at ease. It's all the different voltages at different states and trying to figure out to which the voltage I was reading applied that confused me. Now I can run my gear 100% and know it's fine. I'll buy a couple/three more batteries to add another 200w-250w light and fully use this solar genny for it's intended purpose.

Hey, with those little stackable grid tied inverters, will they work with an off grid array if theres enough voltage and current? ...or are they limited to the output of grid tie style panels?

Comment

I'm seeing the charge up around 14v right now at almost 2pm. So I it looks like my charge controller is allowing the greater cyclical charge since it's over the set max float charge. Looks like I either need a larger array, relocate, or cut down some trees. There's actually a number of half dead scrub oaks I might be able to chop to give my solar genny a couple more unobstructed hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SmithsJunk View Post

Ok, cool, thank you for putting my mind at ease. It's all the different voltages at different states and trying to figure out to which the voltage I was reading applied that confused me. Now I can run my gear 100% and know it's fine. I'll buy a couple/three more batteries to add another 200w-250w light and fully use this solar genny for it's intended purpose.

Hey, with those little stackable grid tied inverters, will they work with an off grid array if theres enough voltage and current? ...or are they limited to the output of grid tie style panels?

Adding batteries to an existing bank isn't advisable unless the existing bank is only a few months old and then the added batteries have to be the exact same batteries.

Those little inverters you are referring to, if not UL listed, aren't legal to use in the USA. If there were to be a fire caused by them your insurance will refuse to cover losses. Besides, grid tied equipment need a grid to sync up to. Useless, off grid.
                      2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Adding batteries to an existing bank isn't advisable unless the existing bank is only a few months old and then the added batteries have to be the exact same batteries.

Those little inverters you are referring to, if not UL listed, aren't legal to use in the USA. If there were to be a fire caused by them your insurance will refuse to cover losses. Besides, grid tied equipment need a grid to sync up to. Useless, off grid.
                        Yeah, the first AGM battery I bought a year ago but it sat unused during that time. I doubt it effects the generator much. I've been adjusting the load and I'm starting to get it dialed. Everything is functioning well. I misread the wiring diagram and wired my multimeter incorrectly, fixed that. I was told it was extraneous but I've found it to be invaluable. Figured out my CC and inverter draw 1.5A-2A, which explained the quick drain on the batteries. I'm buying either 2x 6v 200Ah or 2x 12v 100Ah to add (12v only) to the existing bank (2x are less than 6 months old, 1x is 1-1.5yrs old but unused until a few weeks ago).

If 2x 6v 200Ah batts are the same as 2x 12v 100Ah batts I might buy the 12v because they're cheaper. Are they basically the same output or are they actually twice the amp hours at the standard 10A discharge rate? Thanks.
                        Last edited by SmithsJunk; 04-28-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X