Charge controller charging settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charge controller charging settings

My charge controller has a setting to change the charging voltage but there is no way to change the float and the bulk charging settings. Is the charging setting of the voltage that I CAN change, the "absorb charge"?

My system consists of 4 6v Trojan batteries, making it a 24v system.
    The LCD of the charge controller states the charging voltage as 26.7v. Trojan spec sheet recommends 29.4v absorb charge. So my other question is, giving that my charge controller is set to 26.7v, does it mean that I have to race it up to 29.4v? or does the charge controller does it by itself? Which I haven't seen it do it like another system that I have which is 12v and the charge controller keeps it at 13.7v but sometimes during the day it raises it to 14.7v.

FYI the 12v system has a AGM battery and the 24v system has flooded lead acid batteries.

Bulk charge mode is going to give your battery everything the solar panels can give while the voltage rises to the Absorb set point. At that time the controller holds the voltage steady while the battery continues to take in current down to 2% of the battery Ah. if the controller does take Ah. settings, or the controller times out the absorb mode. At which point it transitions to float mode. I'm surprised you cant adjust the float voltage. You might want to look into that. Some controllers have an optional remote meter that allow these setting changes while the controller by itself isn't voltage settable. You only get a choice of pre set voltages for FLA, AGM, Gel, etc.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

I can modify the charging voltage up and down. What I'm not sure about is whether the 29.4v figure is too high for a 24v bank of 6v Trojan batteries. The guy who sold me the batteries told me that that was too high and that he has a similar set up with 25.4v charging settings.

Comment

Mppt? What brand?

Comment

Originally posted by Soleadus View Post
          I can modify the charging voltage up and down. What I'm not sure about is whether the 29.4v figure is too high for a 24v bank of 6v Trojan batteries. The guy who sold me the batteries told me that that was too high and that he has a similar set up with 25.4v charging settings.
          I would take Trojan's word over the "guy". 25.4 is too low even for float voltage.
          Last edited by littleharbor; 04-10-2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian53713 View Post
            Mppt? What brand?
            This one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            "OOYCYOO MPPT Charge Controller 60 amp"

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

I would take Trojan's word over the "guy". 25.4 is too low even for float voltage.
              I raised the charging voltage on the CC to 29.4. I'll be monitoring the bank in the next hour to see if anything weird happens.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

I'm hearing some bubbling, is that normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Soleadus View Post

I'm hearing some bubbling, is that normal?
                  Yes it is. The gassing will help stir up the acid. Pop the caps on your batteries and make sure the electrolyte is at a proper level. If you see any uncovered plated you need to add distilled water now

Comment

Working...
                  X