How much water should I add to old AGM battery?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davethedrummer
    • Dec 2018

How much water should I add to old AGM battery?

Hey guys,

I have a bunch of old Northstar NSB 170FT batteries that are showing voltage in the 10's and 11's. I just realised maybe I can refill the water to give them a second chance at life.They have been in a pretty hot climate and were worked quite hard so I'm sure they have lost a lot of water.

Question is, how much water do I add? All the way to the top till it starts to overflow?
  • Paul Land
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by davethedrummer
    Hey guys,

I have a bunch of old Northstar NSB 170FT batteries that are showing voltage in the 10's and 11's. I just realised maybe I can refill the water to give them a second chance at life.They have been in a pretty hot climate and were worked quite hard so I'm sure they have lost a lot of water.

Question is, how much water do I add? All the way to the top till it starts to overflow?
    If you add some seeds with your H2o you will have some pretty door-stops

Comment

• kingofbanff
      • Jan 2016

I don't have the answer but I'm sorry your first post resulted in an unhelpful/unfunny answer. Stick around there are lots of good people helping out here and one of them more knowledgeable will help you out.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

AGM batteries are susceptible to sulfation, just not as readily as FLA. Loss of water (only) from the electrolyte will cause loss of capacity but NOT reduced open circuit voltage after full charge. Your voltages and lack of response to charging are most likely the result of irreversible sulfation, not overboiling.
        As such, the door stop idea has merit, but the value will be greater as lead scrap. Any AGM battery over five years old, used or unused, is suspect.
        However, I do not know of any AGM (sealed) batteries to which you can add water without drilling or using a hypodermic and then resealing to hold gas pressure.
        I may try looking the battery up.
        Old FLA, especially ones that have been sitting uncharged are unrecoverable because of sulfation. Door stop recommendation still applies.
        IF (and a big if) electrolyte was actually spilled instead of boiled off, adding electrolyte rather than water might get you some very limited use.
        If the tops of the plates were uncovered for any length of time, the battery will have lost capacity.

OK, that part number is indeed sealed AGM, so there will be no way to add water, period. That is why AGM batteries should never see an Equalize cycle with a high enough voltage and current to cause venting.
        Last edited by inetdog; 02-26-2019, 06:55 PM.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

He's dead Jim.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Yet another Yeti
            Banned
            • Feb 2019

batteryuniversity odd com could be some website to learn more about all different sorts of accumulators ...
            Last edited by Yet another Yeti; 02-27-2019, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• davethedrummer
              • Dec 2018

Originally posted by inetdog
              AGM batteries are susceptible to sulfation, just not as readily as FLA. Loss of water (only) from the electrolyte will cause loss of capacity but NOT reduced open circuit voltage after full charge. Your voltages and lack of response to charging are most likely the result of irreversible sulfation, not overboiling.
              As such, the door stop idea has merit, but the value will be greater as lead scrap. Any AGM battery over five years old, used or unused, is suspect.
              However, I do not know of any AGM (sealed) batteries to which you can add water without drilling or using a hypodermic and then resealing to hold gas pressure.
              I may try looking the battery up.
              Old FLA, especially ones that have been sitting uncharged are unrecoverable because of sulfation. Door stop recommendation still applies.
              IF (and a big if) electrolyte was actually spilled instead of boiled off, adding electrolyte rather than water might get you some very limited use.
              If the tops of the plates were uncovered for any length of time, the battery will have lost capacity.

OK, that part number is indeed sealed AGM, so there will be no way to add water, period. That is why AGM batteries should never see an Equalize cycle with a high enough voltage and current to cause venting.
              Thanks inetdog.

The batteries I have do have venting holes and upon taking the cover off there are 6 holes with thin rubber caps on them.

IMG_20190227_094808_1.png

IMG_20190227_094504.png

IMG_20190227_094520.png

Comment

• Paul Land
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by kingofbanff
                I don't have the answer but I'm sorry your first post resulted in an unhelpful/unfunny answer. Stick around there are lots of good people helping out here and one of them more knowledgeable will help you out.

It's still useful. You just have to find a system that runs on 10 volts.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Paul Land
                  It's still useful. You just have to find a system that runs on 10 volts.
                  And does not mind bad batteries pushed beyond the end of their service life and blowing up. At end of life, AGM batteries are prone to thermal runaway while being charged.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                  || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                  || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                  gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Paul Land
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250

And does not mind bad batteries pushed beyond the end of their service life and blowing up. At end of life, AGM batteries are prone to thermal runaway while being charged.
                    Mike, you will find these Batts way up on-top that Mt, behind your house and they have 2 yr warranty/cycle when there new. they are a zero touch zero maint, back-up batts.

Comment

• sdold
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Paul Land
                      ...and they have 2 yr warranty/cycle when there new....
                      What does "2 yr warranty/cycle" mean?

I think with batteries in the OP's state, any charge will be an over charge. These are a couple of Liberty LS12-100s that we recently pulled from service, left on a float charger well past their prime. At first glance they seem fine, but if you look closely, you can see what I believe are signs of oxidation (swelling) of the positive plates. These were installed 22 years ago and just pulled out of service.

libertys.jpg .

liberty batt 2.jpg
                      Last edited by sdold; 02-27-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• davethedrummer
                        • Dec 2018

These are the batteries I have, they just mention VRLA, nothing about AGM... http://www.northstarbatteri.com/PDF%...r/NSB-AP~1.pdf

Comment

• sdold
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by davethedrummer
                          These are the batteries I have, they just mention VRLA, nothing about AGM... http://www.northstarbatteri.com/PDF%...r/NSB-AP~1.pdf
                          The specs in the cut sheet imply AGM. I wouldn't expect to get any service out of them.
                          Last edited by sdold; 02-27-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• Paul Land
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2018

[QUOTE=sdold;n392744]What does "2 yr warranty/cycle" mean?/QUOTE]

2 years covers manufacturers defects
                            cycle (Life Cycle) means, lets say in very critical setting ie: Tsunami warning buoys batts must be changed out due to wet, salt, heat, cold and vibration damage . If not thats why they fail and 100s Die.
                            boy.jpg
                            Last edited by Paul Land; 02-28-2019, 11:06 AM.

Comment

• davethedrummer
                              • Dec 2018

I have a total of 8 batteries so I went ahead and added 30ml of water per cell (that was yesterday). Tried to charge them up a bit (they got about 4kwh) today in a string of 4 batteries. 4 of them showed voltages of 16-19V while charging so those are no good. Kept rotating the bad ones out and of the remaining 4, one of them is giving me 15V, the other 3 seem be charging normally.

Disconnected them now and will test again tomorrow morning after which time I will charge them individually and do further testing.

Don't really know if the water did anything but hey it's worth a try rather than dumping them.

Comment

Working...