X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matrix
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2017

Over Filled my Batteries: Yup - Another Noob Mistake

So today I woke up to a fairly hardy DOD (no not more than 50%) and thought, "I need to check the water in the batteries". I have been gone several days, and have not looked at water levels in the cells in a few weeks. So I stroll out to the battery box and popped a few tops. Well ... you see where this is going. The plates were NOT exposed, but the 12 cells looked pretty low. In fact, the lowest I had seen them - ever. So I quickly grab the watering can and top all 12 cells off.

Charging is now up to about 60% SOC, And the system has not gotten to a gassing voltage. Then I remembered something about NOT fully watering until AFTER the charge cycle. Look it up on Trojan's battery maintenance page. Sure enough, I did it wrong. And now the risks is that the batteries are over filled and may over flow leaving a nice acidy mess all over things.

Here is the only thing I could think to do. Since gassing, "boiling", mixing had not started yet, I figure most of the water I added is still sitting on top, so the top is mostly water still. So using my hydro syringe, I draw out about equal parts from the top of each of the 12 cells. I put a line on the glass tube of the hydro and got it close with each draw. I placed this "excess" water/acid solution in a glass wine bottle that had been washed, and then rinsed with distilled water ... water from the same container as the water I filled the batteries from earlier. As suspected, the SG of the solution in the bottle from all 12 cells is very very low.

My thinking at this point is to monitor the levels until fully charged, removing more water if necessary before over fill occurs. Then, as the batteries need water in the future, use the solution from the glass wine bottle first in equal parts into all 12 cells until that water is all back in the batteries before using any more distilled water.

Does that seem a good solution to an other wise bad mistake?
    285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

likely the best to do at this point. Unless you are EQ'ing the cells, they don't really heat up much and hence, low fluid expansion. Normally, the split ring, goes deep enough that there is a bit of room for bubbling and fluid expansion, but maybe you have some special cells
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Matrix
      Solar Fanatic
      • Oct 2017

Thanks Mike,
      so the only real issue with over filling is just the possibility of over flowing? Or is there some other issue / problems that occur that will actually damage the battery due to over filling?

Batteries are now 100% charged. The electrolyte rose just about 1/8" above the bottom of the split ring. No over flow. So are you saying it is OK to use the solution I removed, mixed from all 12 cells and stored in a glass bottle earlier today when I need "water" again?
      285Wx9 / MNClassic 150 / CSW4024 / TrojanL16H-ACx4

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Yep, that juice in your bottle, has a little bit of acid in it. And they are lead acid batteries, so they need what they were shipped with.

Be glad you did not have a Auto-Fill system, when they fail, they flood all the batteries with the 20 gallons of water you have in the tank, That's a mess.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Matrix
          My thinking at this point is to monitor the levels until fully charged, removing more water if necessary before over fill occurs. Then, as the batteries need water in the future, use the solution from the glass wine bottle first in equal parts into all 12 cells until that water is all back in the batteries before using any more distilled water.

Does that seem a good solution to an other wise bad mistake?
          No do not remove any electrolyte.

May I suggest Recombination Caps?
          Last edited by Sunking; 12-24-2017, 02:43 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...