X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slicksta
    • Dec 2017

Lead Carbon batteries?

Hello all first off fantastic website.
    I am currently in the process of purchasing a remote property where there is no power/sewage/water so I have been gathering information and researching off grid solutions I have come up with the following system for my power needs

8x 285w Trina Honey M plus (60 cell Perc Mono panel)
    2x Epsolar ET6415AD 60 amp Charge controller
    (running 2x panels in parallel 2x in series on each controller, 24v system)

Battery options
    I'm unsure of what battery option I should go with between Lead Carbon or AGM of the batteries I'm looking at depth of discharge ratings as quoted by the manufacturer are:

Vision AGM:

30% 1300
    50% 500
    100% 250

C & D) Lead Carbon
    10% 6200
    20% 5700
    50% 2000
    80% 1200
    100% 600

And some manufacturers claim even higher than those lead carbon batteries IE
    https://www.hiteksolar.co.nz/collect...est-technology

My question is are these claims correct? Are they really that much better? Has anyone had experience with them?
    If these claims are correct then at a 30% premium over AGM I would be silly not to go for them.

Thanks
    Last edited by Slicksta; 12-01-2017, 07:25 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

There are good sales ads for PbCarbon batteries, but I don't know if they have been on the market to get real feedback yet
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

OK you are about to make a huge mistake. There is absolutely no reason or justification you can dream up that requires you to use 2 controllers. It means you are using too low of a battery voltage like 12 volts. With 8 x 265 watt panels gives a total of 2120 watts. That only requires a single 40 amp controller operating at 48 volt battery. Buy a good 80 amp controller and you are good to go to 4000 to 5000 watts @ 48 volt battery. 12 volt systems are toys and dangerous. Not to mention a waste of money.

As for batteries FORGET AGM in your application. Again throwing away money. AGM batteries cost twice as much and last half as long as Flooded making them 400% higher cost. AGM has a place in solar, but a niche application. AGM should be used where extreme cold climates are encountered like -40 degrees, mobile applications where spills cannot be tolerated, or extremely high charge/discharge rates.

Lead carbom Pb batteries are nothing new. Trojan was the first and has been making them for 10 years now in their RE and Industrial lines. C&D make good batteries, but Trojan Industrial line is a superior battery and does not cost as much as C&D.

So tap the brakes before you do something stupid.
      Last edited by Sunking; 12-02-2017, 01:53 PM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• Slicksta
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
        OK you are about to make a huge mistake. There is absolutely no reason or justification you can dream up that requires you to use 2 controllers. It means you are using too low of a battery voltage like 12 volts. With 8 x 265 watt panels gives a total of 2120 watts. That only requires a single 40 amp controller operating at 48 volt battery. Buy a good 80 amp controller and you are good to go to 4000 to 5000 watts @ 48 volt battery. 12 volt systems are toys and dangerous. Not to mention a waste of money.

As for batteries FORGET AGM in your application. Again throwing away money. AGM batteries cost twice as much and last half as long as Flooded making them 400% higher cost. AGM has a place in solar, but a niche application. AGM should be used where extreme cold climates are encountered like -40 degrees, mobile applications where spills cannot be tolerated, or extremely high charge/discharge rates.

Lead carbom Pb batteries are nothing new. Trojan was the first and has been making them for 10 years now in their RE and Industrial lines. C&D make good batteries, but Trojan Industrial line is a superior battery and does not cost as much as C&D.

So tap the brakes before you do something stupid.
        Hello Sunking

I had considered 48volt however there are a few reasons why I don't go that way first off this is a mobile units meaning if i did do too higher voltage I would need to have a regular WoEFs (basically an electrical inspection as this will be a tiny house on wheels and because of the remote location/cost/hassle of getting it done I would like to avoid this) the house will be wired up in 24v DC to avoid this regulation.

I do need the batteries to be sealed as the temperature can get cold around here and there is fairly limited space on the outside of the tiny house to do this aside from on the draw bar and that will be used for LPG (propane) storage.

I can buy C & D at wholesale rates so fairly cheaply the other battery I am looking at is this one:
        http://en.naradapower.com/index.php/...fo/14?ctype=53

The cycle rate is fairly crazy high the only issue being that I might go with a smaller solar system because of charging current limitations ie change to 6 panels and Outback FM80 so I can better control in input power with a single charge controller.

Trojen batteries look good but I would need to find a supplier here in New Zealand and if the wholesaler doesn't normally stock there carbon range importing could be expensive.

Thank you for your input I genuinely appreciate it.

Comment

Working...