Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gdwats
    • Jul 2017

How many watts to draw from inverter?

I'm trying to figure out how many watts I should draw at constant current from a 24V 225AH Fla using an inverter, both when it is being charged with a 3x3 series arrays of 100W PV.
    is that enough info to estimate?

The stupid numbers show 225AH x 24V = 5400WH. I am wanting to run 1500W. Does that mean that I can run 1500W for 5400WH/1500W= 3.6 hours. And for 50% charge left = 1.8H @ 1500W at night if the batteries are full?

Thanks
    900W, 40A MPPT, 230AH FLA,24V Samlex 1500W
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

You first need to check if that 225Ah battery can provide 62 amps continuous (1500w / 24v = 62.5a).

Deep cell batteries have a number of Ah ratings. If that 225Ah is based on a 20 hour discharge rate, then 62amp for 1.8 hours may be a little too much.

Comment

• Gdwats
      • Jul 2017

Thanks I'll check, and yes, it is the 20H rate. Hopefully it will work out as the 1500W is for washing machine which probably won't draw the 1500W during the entire wash cycle. Same for the refrigerator, but won't run it at the same time. I have a remote control for the inverter which monitors the battery states I'll have to watch. And get a fuse block thing still.

Comment

• Gdwats
        • Jul 2017

I looked it up and it is 447min @ 25A and 115min @ 75A for the T105RE. Thanks!

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Gdwats
          I looked it up and it is 447min @ 25A and 115min @ 75A for the T105RE. Thanks!
          A good rule to follow is read and understand the battery specs. That gives you the chance that they will last longer. Abuse a battery and it will end up costing a lot more then you expected.

Comment

• Gdwats
            • Jul 2017

Ok, all I know now is to monitor the cells, maintain 50% charge, fuse the terminals, and don't draw more than 1200W (inverter limited to ~1350). 1200/24= 50A. Thats a lot of current alright, guess I won't be running a washing machine. The fridge though.
            I think the cable(ordered separately, and recommend by inverters R us) is 4/0 by Spartan and on the way.

Comment

• Gdwats
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

A good rule to follow is read and understand the battery specs. That gives you the chance that they will last longer. Abuse a battery and it will end up costing a lot more then you expected.
              Oh, my. Been boning up on the Fla batteries. Fickle things.
              my Renogy mppt I read has an auto equalizing feature it uses when it auto-detects the Fla bank. It runs the routine every 28th of the month. From what I've read, I still need to check the water level both before and after eq, and upon depletion to 50% and make any additions at those 2 points. There is more, I should hire an electrical engineer to babysit my batteries! SLA is so much easier....but not better.
              Last edited by Gdwats; 09-03-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Oh, my. Been boning up on the Fla batteries. Fickle things.
                my Renogy mppt I read has an auto equalizing feature it uses when it auto-detects the Fla bank. It runs the routine every 28th of the month. From what I've read, I still need to check the water level both before and after eq, and upon depletion to 50% and make any additions at those 2 points. There is more, I should hire an electrical engineer to babysit my batteries! SLA is so much easier....but not better.
                Well as most people that have large off grid battery systems have indicated is that they now have a permanent time consuming hobby keeping the batteries happy.

Comment

• Gdwats
                  • Jul 2017

Ok, I have 2 of the blue sea dual dual post fuse blocks in my cart, along with 2x40A and 2x125A fuses(one backup of each). Do I need the dual model or just single? Which terminals of the 4x6v bateries(series) should I attach the fuse blocks?

Comment

• Mike90250
                    • May 2009

Don't press the BUY button yet. IF you are fusing both + & - leads, with the 2 dual fuse blocks, you will populate them with 4 fuses and there are no spares !! Or i read your post wrong
                    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Gdwats
                      • Jul 2017

I was going to put one dual block fuse holder on just the pos terminal and attach inverter and cc fuses there, each on its own fuse?

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

I was going to put one dual block fuse holder on just the pos terminal and attach inverter and cc fuses there, each on its own fuse?
                        That will work if you ground your Negative terminal. If you float (not grounded) the Negative terminal you will need to have fuses on the wires going to the CC and inverter just like the Positive terminal.

Comment

• Gdwats
                          • Jul 2017

Ok, I give. How much does a grounding pole cost? Do I need 2?

Comment

Working...