Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Svencool
    • Jul 2015

Trojan 6 Volt Battery T-105

I was talking with a guy today and he sells these type batteries New for $78each and they are date coded ect ect.. Do they make different AH rated batteries 207 or 225? I recently went 24v and now I want to get away from a parallel connection and put my battery bank in all series connection with allot better battery. I have a buyer for my other 12v batteries. But is there anything I should be looking out for as $78 seems pretty cheap
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Svencool
    I was talking with a guy today and he sells these type batteries New for $78each and they are date coded ect ect..
    OK something is not right. A new T-105 goes for $130 to $150. Are these a Trojan copy. Are they used.

Do they make different AH rated batteries 207 or 225? I recently went 24v and now I want to get away from a parallel connection and put my battery bank in all series connection with allot better battery.
    Trojan makes batteries from 85 to 1849 AH.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Svencool
      • Jul 2015

The guy says they are new and if it was a copy what would one look for? From his pictures looks like it says Trojan molded into the top of the battery... Do they sell seconds?

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

There's got to be a reason he's selling them so cheap. Are they blems? , returns? Fake? If this guy is an authorized Trojan dealer he ought to be up front about why they are selling for half price. The cheapest GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries I've seen are at Costco for $83.99. Considering the Trojan T-105's are a top quality 6 volt deep cycle battery there is no way a dealer can sell them for $78.00.
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Svencool
          • Jul 2015

Long story short I went to his shop and he said his ad was for a different set of batteries even tho the Trojans were in the picture. Which he said his price was $110 each not 78. Anyway after talking with the guy, I told him I use about 950wh a day and wanted to have 3 Days of Autonomy and he suggested that I get 4 L16RE-A batteries instead and run them down to 50% DOD Which I told him I never usually went below 20% DOD and he said then I would need 8 of the those L16RE-A in 2 strings of 4ea. How do I figure which makes more sense to buy the 8 at 20% or 4 at 50%? as they will need replacing one day.... he also said I should look for batteries that had the code RE in them as that meant the manufacture added carbon to the batteries and those were better for off grid systems were talking about Trojan batteries....

Comment

• littleharbor
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2016

950 watt hours is less than 40 Ah at 24 volts. That would put you under at 20% DOD With a set of 4 GC2 or Trojan T 105's. Why would he want you to buy 8 L-16's that would give you 780 Ah. Am I missing something here?
            Do you realize how heavy and how much space 8 L-16's would take up?
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• Svencool
              • Jul 2015

He also figured in 15% losses on top of the 950wh for inverter and wiring or what ever else if I remember right he was close to figuring around 1100 or 1200wh.... also space is not an issue I'm using a 10' x 10' room now which my stuff doesn't even come close to using up that space....
              Last edited by Svencool; 07-25-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2010

Svencool, find a more knowledgeable and honest dealer. Herre is my case against him:

1. I can buy T-105's cheaper than anyone here, and they would cost me $120 with a core exchange or $128 without a core to exchange. I do not see anyway possible he can sell them below his cost. Something is not right at $110. If they are Trojan I bet the answer is in the Date Code stamped on the Terminals. My bet is they are old stock, fakes, or used.

2. OK here is how you determine a battery Watt Hour Capacity = Battery Voltage x Amp Hours. So a T-105 has 6 volts x 225 AH = 1350 watt hours. There is no derating 15% unless you discharge them fast. So at 24 volts x 225 AH = 5400 watt hours. Do the math 950 / 5400 x 100 = 17.6% DOD. L16's are good batteries and a real nice Upsale for him.

I smell a rat.
                Last edited by Sunking; 07-25-2017, 08:30 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

• Svencool
                  • Jul 2015

I found another dealer not to far off will be calling them tomorrow... When looking at the date codes what am I looking for? or should I be asking for? Thx

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

When looking at the date codes what am I looking for? or should I be asking for? Thx
                    Click the LINK in my last reply for details from Trojan.

What you are looking for is the dates stamped on the Battery Term Post.

The Positive Terminal shows born date. When it was assembled, but not activated.
                    The Negative Term Post shows Ship date to distribution.

Months appear as letter A-L where A is Jan and L is December. The number is the year. So if it say B17 is February 2017, or Feb 1917.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Sunking
                      Months appear as letter A-L where A is Jan and L is December. The number is the year. So if it say B17 , or Feb 1917.
                      And it's easy to tell if it's the 1917 battery, it has a wood & tar case, with replaceable/rebuildable 2V cells.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Svencool
                        • Jul 2015

Click the LINK in my last reply for details from Trojan.

Months appear as letter A-L where A is Jan and L is December. The number is the year. So if it say B17 is February 2017, or Feb 1917.
                        You said "or Feb 1917." So do you mean 2017 instead of 1917? I understand the A-L thing... and thanks for the INFO as it will help for sure...

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

You said "or Feb 1917." So do you mean 2017 instead of 1917? I understand the A-L thing... and thanks for the INFO as it will help for sure...
                          That part was a Joke, hence why it was in San Serif Comic font.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Svencool
                            • Jul 2015

That part was a Joke, hence why it was in San Serif Comic font.
                            Oh well from my work computer and home one I must not have that font as I'm looking at it now and the font looks the same. But when I did reply back with a quote I do remember it saying something about that San Serif Comic Font and I just deleted out of the quote lol..... Sunking or anyone else Whats your thoughts about these battery types? that end with RE like T-105RE instead of T-105. Was reading on Trojans web site about this Smart Carbon Technology.
                            Last edited by Svencool; 07-26-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Sunking or anyone else Whats your thoughts about these battery types? that end with RE like T-105RE instead of T-105. Was reading on Trojans web site about this Smart Carbon Technology.
                              Same BCI group case of GC2, but inside is different. To start 5 pounds more lead plus their T2 Carbon tech. Basically comes down to this, warranty. The T-105 is a 2 year battery, and the T-105RE is a 5 year battery.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...