Incorrect Hookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect Hookup

I have a question I hope you can help me with.

I recently had a solar DC well pump installed. I gave the electrician the schematics for hooking up the panels and Battery to the controller. He did not hook it up that way. Instead, after he wired the batteries up in parallel to get 48 volts, he wired the solar panels directly to the terminals on the battery, then he took a connection from the batteries to the controller and wired it under the p + -screw terminals. He then set the controller to solar. Now, my batteries will not hold a charge and I have been told that it is because they have been damaged because of their hook up directly to the panels. Can someone please comment on this? I don't want to go back to my installer and say replace my batteries for me until I know for a fact this is what caused them to fail.

Thanks for the help...

Originally posted by Vickieski View Post
    I have a question I hope you can help me with.

I recently had a solar DC well pump installed. I gave the electrician the schematics for hooking up the panels and Battery to the controller. He did not hook it up that way.
    The electrician is liable, and if he is licensed and wants to keep his license must rectify the problem. That is why he is Bonded and Insured. File a claim. How to sue a contractor. Threaten the contractor first in writing. If he is reputable will fix it and not want to get sued and have ma file claimed.

It is possible connecting the panels directly to the battery damaged them. It is also possible no damage at all if the pump is operational and using power. Basically a Charge Controller connects the panels directly to the battery to charge them, and disconnects when charged.

How have you determined the battery will not hold a charge. Have they been tested? If batteries have been over charged is easy to spot. They will be low on water and the exposed plates will have a white crusty film where exposed to air. If the batteries are sealed you will see where electrolyte has escaped around the valves. It will be white crusty looking crud that turns brown as dirt accumulates around the valves.
    Last edited by Sunking; 05-21-2017, 01:39 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

I charged them all to 12v and let them sit overnight. They all discharged at least one volt and three of them dropped 3. I am on my way to have the store test them now. The pump works during the day but not at night when the batteries are needed.

I will look for those signs at the store.

Thanks for the help.
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Vickieski View Post
        I charged them all to 12v and let them sit overnight. They all discharged at least one volt and three of them dropped 3. I am on my way to have the store test them now. The pump works during the day but not at night when the batteries are needed.

I will look for those signs at the store.

Thanks for the help.
        ​​​​​​
        What signs?

FWIW 12 volts is a dead battery. They are charged to 14.4 volts, and when rested should read 12.7 volts. If 30 of them fall to 9 volts, they are toast.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X