Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cgofish
    • Nov 2016

Battery Safety FLA vs AGM

I understand from reading other post in the forum that FLA's are better from a performance/price perspective compared to AGMs. My question is what safety concerns need to be taken into consideration between the two if any?

In my particular set up my solar equipment / battery room is located in an outside room but directly attached to the house, outside of a bedroom exterior wall(solid concrete). The solar equipment room is well ventilated (passive) and the climate is tropical so low temps of 65F to highs of 95F. The room itself is fully shaded and should not have much heat issues.

With this being outside a bedroom I'm willing to pay more for AGM if there is a real concern with safety. Also I'm not planning on using any "cheap" gear - pretty much all Schneider and it will be a 48V system.

Thanks in advance. I appreciate those of you who contribute regularly to this forum as it has been a great way to gain knowledge on a pretty dynamic subject.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

I would say the main benefit of using an AGM type battery would be not worrying about the fluid coming out if they are tipped over.

Having a sealed battery allows you to stack them in multiple directions as well as installing them in a mobile application that may move them around. But during charging I expect some if not all AGM type will vent gases if they are overcharged so some type of venting is needed.

IMO the main draw backs are the higher cost and the lack of being able to measure the SOC using a hydrometer.

So for a fixed location installation that is vented and not inside a living area I would still go with the FLA type.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

With any battery room adjacent to a house wall, I would install a firewall to isolate the battery chamber from the house. This will also help reduce any fumes.
      Sealed batteries are .... Sealed, until they are not. They have pressure vent caps to vent excess hydrogen gas buildup and will require the SAME venting
      and acid containment measures as flooded. So unless one of the unique benefits of SLA is needed, stick with flooded.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• cgofish
        • Nov 2016

Guys thanks for the feedback, sounds like we should be safe with the exterior room regardless of the battery types.

I started looking for info on the fire ratings for the building system we are using and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6KXWcf0eoY&t=1s After seeing them blow a few sticks of dynamite I'm thinking we will survive...
        Last edited by cgofish; 05-12-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...