Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vm1990
    • Feb 2017

Advice please :)

Iv just got my hands on 3x 220ah battery's. I'm not sure what I want to do with them iv got 3 35v 255w panels (damaged so not the full amount maybe 500w total)

now my question can I have all 3 battery's in parallel to give me 12v@660A if so what are the downsides

or

2 in series to give me 24v@220 amps and have a separate on its own

I'm using a PWM at the moment so I'd get most out of the 24v system but take a hit on capacity, I will upgrade to MPPT when spring hits the UK proper.

iv done some reading but there's as usual Alot of conflicts saying some ways are bad and some are good and vice versa.

any advice would be helpful
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

All in parallel will really kill you on utilization of panel power with PWM charger controller. You would also not have enough current available to properly charge the parallel bank.
    Finally, putting three batteries in parallel will make it very difficult to maintain them properly and will cost you battery life.
    Depending on your actual load wattage and kWh per day you may be much better off with a 24V system to maximize efficiency and safety.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Logan5
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2013

These sound like used batteries?

Comment

• vm1990
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Logan5
        These sound like used batteries?
        Yeh there used got to run tests on them before I get tinkering, check voltages, check fluid levels curse at how heavy they are (40kg ish each) didn't expect them to be so big when I was bidding on them but at
        Last edited by vm1990; 03-22-2017, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...