• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulcheung
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2013

The right water for the batteries.

Hi guys,

I just get two of these meters to check to see if I can use rain water to fill the batteries. I got these from Amazon.com

I checked 5 different waters. the result as follows.

Tap water =227ppm
    Rain water from the drum during rain falling=6 to7 ppm
    rain water stored in the plastic drum for a while=8 ppm
    Water from Tropical battery dealer (not distillate water)=117ppm

Water from Solar system and parts dealer (distillate water)= 6ppm.

So, am I safe to use the rain water I caught during the rain to fill the batteries? if not what should I look for?

Thank you.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

i'd like to see better rain water, but it is what is is. Try a funnel into a jug in the middle of the rain storm after the dust has washed out of the air
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

Paul do you have a Ph meter or litmus paper? You can use rain water assuming it is filtered and neutral Ph. Being in Jamaica rain water might be your best source as I do no think you have acid rain. Just don't collect your rain water around Negril, it will be contaminated by Ganja Smoke. Got the same problem south of you in Panama.

FWIW filtering Rain Water is pretty easy. You just need a containment vessel and allow any sediment to settle in the bottom.
      Last edited by Sunking; 12-16-2016, 01:02 AM.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

When I was a kid, we were told that holy water was good for everything. Maybe it'd work to put in a good word for the batteries. When available, we put it on mosquito bites. Seemed to work.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by J.P.M.
          When I was a kid, we were told that holy water was good for everything. Maybe it'd work to put in a good word for the batteries. When available, we put it on mosquito bites. Seemed to work.
          When I was a teen, some friends and I would wait till service started, Then we would sneak into the Priest living quarters and steal a bottle of wine from the racks.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
            Super Moderator
            • May 2012

Originally posted by Sunking

When I was a teen, some friends and I would wait till service started, Then we would sneak into the Priest living quarters and steal a bottle of wine from the racks.
            Very holy water!

The Irish had uisge beathe, the waters of life. We shortened it to whiskey.
            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Lucky you. My parish kept the wine stock locked up save for the bottle in use. I can however, attest to the truth of stories of altar boys sneaking wine on their side of the sacristy. Tacitly accepted by higher as a right of passage I assume.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Paul do you have a Ph meter or litmus paper? You can use rain water assuming it is filtered and neutral Ph. Being in Jamaica rain water might be your best source as I do no think you have acid rain. Just don't collect your rain water around Negril, it will be contaminated by Ganja Smoke. Got the same problem south of you in Panama.

FWIW filtering Rain Water is pretty easy. You just need a containment vessel and allow any sediment to settle in the bottom.
                FWIW, back in pre EPA days, I had access to a chem. lab. We'd casually check the Ph of rainwater. in Western NY it was always < 7 and sometimes as low as 4 or so.

Comment

• paulcheung
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2013

What happen if the PH is little out of neutral? what kind damage to the battery? Thank you.

Comment

• Sunking
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Feb 2010

Which side of neutral? Think about it for a second.

What happens when you mix an acid with alkali? Say vinegar and baking soda.

By now I think you got it by now. Error on the side of acidic. Having said that rain water if anything will be ever so slightly acidic. You are looking for 6.4 to 7.0

In Jamaica, I could be wrong, but I don't think rain water is acidic. If it is should be pretty close to neutral Only exception I can think of is maybe areas around MoBay or Kingston might have a slightly acid rain, but I doubt it is any real problem. Being an Island some considerable distance away from Industry, I just cannot imagine acid rain would be a problem. The trade winds and daily rains, keeps your air pretty clean. Well maybe Negril is an exception.

The 3 things you do not want any part of is hard water, PH lower than 6.4, and never ever above 7.0
                    MSEE, PE

Comment

• paulcheung
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2013

So slightly acid is ok, but none alkaline. When Alpart and Alcan in operation we do have some acid rain now and then, but they closed down from the 2008 worldwide financial problem. so I should be ok. I still like to go the pet shop to see if they have any Ph water test strip. I always buy from the them to test my water for the fishes. Thank you.

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by paulcheung
                        So slightly acid is ok, but none alkaline. When Alpart and Alcan in operation we do have some acid rain now and then, but they closed down from the 2008 worldwide financial problem. so I should be ok. I still like to go the pet shop to see if they have any Ph water test strip. I always buy from the them to test my water for the fishes. Thank you.
                        You are welcome Paul. Glad to help. Treat your batteries like your fish and you will be OK. I share your passion, I have a Salt Water aquarium. Merry Christmas.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• paulcheung
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2013

If wasn't for those pumps at the pond I won't need so much Solar panels and batteries. Merry Christmas.

Comment

Working...