X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asdex
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2013

Suitable battery for offgrid?

I have an option to get these batteries and a good price. Are the suitable compared to other batteries around the price? Crown CR430 6 volt 430 AH deep cycle.
    I would get four for my 24 volt system. I would hope to get10 years from them as I normally drag my existing bank which is 330AH down to 92% SOC each 24 hrs.
    Given correct maintenance and distilled water when needed.
    Thanks,
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by asdex
    I have an option to get these batteries and a good price. Are the suitable compared to other batteries around the price? Crown CR430 6 volt 430 AH deep cycle.
    I would get four for my 24 volt system. I would hope to get10 years from them as I normally drag my existing bank which is 330AH down to 92% SOC each 24 hrs.
    Given correct maintenance and distilled water when needed.
    Thanks,
    Well the specs show the "typical" battery life at 20% DOD at 3000 cycles but I would think that is at lab conditions. But if you are only doing an 8% DOD with those 330Ah batteries you may get a long life out of the Crown. Although 10 years may be a stretch unless you follow all of the maintenance procedures perfectly as well as perform an Equalization charge per recommended time frames.

Comment

• asdex
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2013

Thanks, well as long as they compare favorably with the deep cycle Trojan batteries I'll be happy.
      Cheers,

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Thanks, well as long as they compare favorably with the deep cycle Trojan batteries I'll be happy.
        Cheers,
        All I can tell you is what I read from their spec sheet. How they perform in real life and if they are better than the Trojan brand would be something others may be able to say

Comment

• Logan5
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2013

Good deal? these are "brand new" correct?

Comment

• asdex
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2013

Yes these are brand new batteries.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Crown makes good batteries. Would not be my first choice because you can get as good or better quality for same or less money. However if the price is right....

Now one word of warning. Make dam sure you can meet the minimum greater than 40 amp charge current requirement. Recommended charge current is 100 amps. At 24 volts means you need at least 1200 watts.

10 years? Don't count on it. Warranty is only 2 years. To get 10 years is going to require something like Trojan Industrial line or Rolls 5000 series line. Warranty tells you what you need to know. 2 year son Crown, 8 and 10 years for Trojan and Rolls.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• asdex
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2013

My PV system is 1920 watt so should charge that capacity depending on sun.
                Cheers,

Comment

• asdex
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Nov 2013

The charging instructions attached must be similar for other batteries people use in solar power system. How do you get on if there are days the array can't produce 40 amps? Say a week of rain when the batteries only charge up on say 10 amps?
                  Also, I guess the three phases are bulk, absorb, and float?
                  cheers,
                  Attached Files

Comment

• solar pete
                    Administrator
                    • May 2014

Howdy, the week of rainy weather is why you need a genny cheers.

Comment

• Mike90250
                      • May 2009

The charging instructions attached must be similar for other batteries people use in solar power system. How do you get on if there are days the array can't produce 40 amps? Say a week of rain when the batteries only charge up on say 10 amps?..........
                      That's when I fire up one of the 2 generators I have. Most of the time, both are working. It's important to at least charge above 85% daily, and get to 100% once or twice a week to keep hardened sulfate crystal buildup at a minimum, Once formed and hardened, each crystal (looks like rock candy) reduces the strength of the electrolyte, till you have water left.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• asdex
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2013

Rereading the specs on this battery, the minimum 40A is for constant current charging.
                        No way you can achieve this with a solar panel system unless a generator is cutting in and out every time a cloud comes over.
                        I suspect this is optimal charging for all deep cycle batteries if your on the grid.

Comment

• jflorey2
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

Rereading the specs on this battery, the minimum 40A is for constant current charging.
                          In this case, "constant current" refers to the phase of charging (i.e. the time when current is maxed out and the voltage is below the absorb voltage.) It does not mean it has to be constant.

Comment

• asdex
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2013

Thanks, and I have just received info from Crown with the voltage settings to use.
                            I see a slight problem with the info where the person mentions "It is important to allow the battery bank to float (rest) before the next discharge cycle begins. It is ideal to have the battery bank fully charged by late morning or early afternoon to give the battery bank rest time throughout the balance of the afternoon before the next discharge cycle."
                            Once my bank is charged usally late morning it is still in use running the fridge and freezer and water heating. Most of the time the panels are putting out the needed amps but I wouldn't actually call the batteries floating for the rest of the day as clouds come and go and although most of the current comes fro the panels, the batteries will be filling in the low spots.

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

Thanks, and I have just received info from Crown with the voltage settings to use.
                              I see a slight problem with the info where the person mentions "It is important to allow the battery bank to float (rest) before the next discharge cycle begins. It is ideal to have the battery bank fully charged by late morning or early afternoon to give the battery bank rest time throughout the balance of the afternoon before the next discharge cycle."
                              Once my bank is charged usally late morning it is still in use running the fridge and freezer and water heating. Most of the time the panels are putting out the needed amps but I wouldn't actually call the batteries floating for the rest of the day as clouds come and go and although most of the current comes fro the panels, the batteries will be filling in the low spots.
                              Well, batteries are almost never treated perfectly - which is why the manufacturer's life specs are rarely seen in real life. And it is important to periodically get the battery to close to 100% charge through a long float. But if that only happens every few days (due to clouds or whatever) it's not the end of the world. And that's why many people use generators, for a periodic 100% charge no matter what the insolation.

Comment

Working...