Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Charger

Hi,

I am a beginner. So, please be patient with me. I am looking for a solar panel to charge a 24 V, 5 AH lead acid battery ( two 12V, AH batteries in series) using a solar panel. I need to know how to specify and where to buy the solar panel from. What should be its output voltage and current? I am planning to use a MPPT.

erica

Originally posted by erica.cross1989 View Post
    Hi,

I am a beginner. So, please be patient with me. I am looking for a solar panel to charge a 24 V, 5 AH lead acid battery ( two 12V, AH batteries in series) using a solar panel. I need to know how to specify and where to buy the solar panel from. What should be its output voltage and current? I am planning to use a MPPT.

erica
    Even though this is a tiny system, you will need to provide a bit more information.

1) What loads will you be running and for how long per day? Total watts and watt hours / day
    2) What kind of batteries? Flooded lead acid or AGM?
    3) What is your location and how will the panels be mounted (To know how much solar energy you have to work with)

Comment

Originally posted by lkruper View Post
      Even though this is a tiny system, you will need to provide a bit more information.

1) What loads will you be running and for how long per day? Total watts and watt hours / day
      2) What kind of batteries? Flooded lead acid or AGM?
      3) What is your location and how will the panels be mounted (To know how much solar energy you have to work with)

This kind of batteries http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...1010-ND/653331

I am in San Diego, California. I do not know how the panels will be mounted. I was asked to specify the solar panel according to the ratings of the batteries.

Load is not determined yet. I need to work on the solar panel specs that can charge the batteries.

Comment

I am in San Diego, California. I do not know how the panels will be mounted. I was asked to specify the solar panel according to the ratings of the batteries.

Load is not determined yet. I need to work on the solar panel specs that can charge the batteries.
        Those 5Ah batteries are really used in UPS systems and will not be able to handle a daily discharge/charge cycle using solar panels.

Based on that battery chemistry you should use a charger that will not produce more than 600ma at 24volts which is a pretty small system.

Comment

Why would anyone ask you to make a spec when you have no clue?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Then I and everyone who knows anything can guarantee you will fail and fail big time. You will loose every dollar you spend and will look very foolish. I hope no one is paying you to do this.

Very first step is to determine the daily 24 load. Nothing else matters as the equipment specs is just the end result.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
            X