X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by SunEagle
    I am surprised that wasn't mentioned in any of those battery videos focused towards "prepers".

S = fertilizer, H = hit, T = the, F= fan.

Or another way to say it; the defecation hitting the rotary oscillator.
    I always called it the excrement impacting the impeller.
    It is a reference to the collapse of society as we know it because of either natural or political disaster. A time when energy independence could be critical and you cannot just get new parts at the local store.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
      I always called it the excrement impacting the impeller.
      It is a reference to the collapse of society as we know it because of either natural or political disaster. A time when energy independence could be critical and you cannot just get new parts at the local store.
      Which could be considered right now for some people depending if you live in the boonies.

Comment

• almac
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

ok might try this one day

Comment

• jakesz28
          • Oct 2015

I have actually tried the epsen salt in a couple old batteries. I have had a riding mower I got used 8 years ago. I added a solution of epsen salt and charged it. that battery was still in the mower another 5 years. That same battery was in the mower last week when I gave the mower away.
          I was given an old electric golf cart. When we got it you could not drive it 10 minutes. I did the epsen salt solution and charged the batteries again. Every time it was recharged for the next couple weeks it seemed like it was driving longer. We were able to continuously drive it for what I would guess to be a couple hours. It was a cheap toy/side by side for my son for a couple years after adding the salt.

Is it good for the battery, I would say no. Did it work in what I called junk batteries, I would say yes. Would I try it in my car, no.

Comment

• Sunsun
            • Mar 2020

Old thread, new member. I have 8 Trojan L16RV-B battery wired in two series strings for 24v system.

I recently had one cell that would not charge up. I tried eqing the bank serveral times and eqing it along with one other battery in series at 12v (16.2v) Still dead.

So I added an Epsom salt-distilled water solution to the bad cell and eqed the batt. The bad cell came up to 80%.

Its holding at that level when charging on its daily cycle along with the 24v bank.

From reading on the web, the advice is to empty out the Epsom salt tainted electrolyte and replace it with fresh electrolyte.

any advice on how to do that?. Seems like turning the battery upside down is just going to cause all the gunk in the bottom to clog the plates.

and is it even necessary to empty it because I'm guessing the battery is on the way out anyway.

Thanks

Last edited by Sunsun; 03-24-2020, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

If it wasn't dead before, it will be soon. You may have bought some time, but keep a close eye on it.
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunsun
                • Mar 2020

Thanks Mike. I just ordered a replacement set of 8 Rolls s-480. Thinking I will also get a battery switch in order to keep both banks, new and old, in use if there is a switch out there that will handle the amps.

I'm curious to see just how long that cell hangs on.

Wish I had caught the problem before it was to late but I got lazy with the hydrometer, instead relying on periodic Equalization charges.

What I didn't know then and what I know now is sometimes you have to isolate the problem battery from the rest of the bank in order for it to except an eq charge.

the other mistake I made was the Trojan EQ voltage for L16 RE-B is 32.4 v whereas my 1st bank of Trojan L16 was at 31v.

I was using the wrong Equalization voltage for the last 5 years.
                Last edited by Sunsun; 03-25-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Working...