X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Living Large
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
    And what you saved in real estate costs will now have to be used for your power generation.

While I understand the benefits of finding low cost property, sometimes you get stuck trying to sell it after it loses it's glamor. I picked up 15 acres in 2005 for about $6k per acre while most other plots were being sold at $12k/acre.

Now that my retirement plans have change I might be able to sell my property for a little over $5k / acre. I never thought real estate would drop that much in value over tens years.
    Well, yes, and I accounted for that after hanging out here for months. I didn't pay up for the property, which is the saving grace. Being a low cost property, if I lose 20% on it in a fire sale, it won't bankrupt me. The market in said area was very hot in the 2000's, as many were, and has pretty much hit the skids. If things recover at all, I may be ok. It's a gamble, and I'll try to enjoy it in the meantime. It's only money. If I go in expecting to lose, it can't turn out all that bad. My alternative was to build a shiny new house on a lot I wasn't thrilled with, and risk losing $50K if I decided to sell in a few years.

Comment

• Silver_Is_Money
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

I'm only seeing a solar shortfall in November, December, January, and possibly February. There should be enough sun to operate my refrigerator and deep freezer full time off of my limited PV system during the rest of the months. Or am I missing even more here?

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Silver_Is_Money
        I'm only seeing a solar shortfall in November, December, January, and possibly February. There should be enough sun to operate my refrigerator and deep freezer full time off of my limited PV system during the rest of the months. Or am I missing even more here?
        Unfortunately you are using old average data concerning solar generation. With the way our weather has been changing I would not rely on getting enough daily power even during some of the better solar producing months.

It comes down to what you want to spend for power generation or loss of food due to non functioning refrigerators.

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Silver_Is_Money
          A generator. What are you going to do for 4 months of darkness? Use an ice chest?
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• TommyDre
            • Aug 2015

For personal refrigeration I like my propane fridge. If you actually get enough electricity to run a fridge from March through October then you could try that out for the winter months when your solar insolation is low.

Comment

Working...