Most effective use of eight NG-8D wet cell batteries - off grid power to bldg.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mycomac
    • Aug 2012

Most effective use of eight NG-8D wet cell batteries - off grid power to bldg.

I own eight NG-8D lead acid batteries. I have a remote 40x100 equipment shed that is off grid and I would like to use these batteries in a solar set-up to run a simple 110V system. Primary use would be running small hand tools, 12v cordless battery chargers, etc., maybe a radio, on an occasional basis.

My batteries are rated at 800 CCA @ zero F / 1200 CA @ 32 F

Would these be suitable for building a system around?
    What amount of power could these reasonably provide?
    What size panels / controllers would I need to keep these charged properly?

I know I haven't provided enough information, but I don't know what questions still need answered to begin putting this together. Any informed help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
  • RussN9ZP
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by mycomac
    I own eight NG-8D lead acid batteries. I have a remote 40x100 equipment shed that is off grid and I would like to use these batteries in a solar set-up to run a simple 110V system. Primary use would be running small hand tools, 12v cordless battery chargers, etc., maybe a radio, on an occasional basis.

My batteries are rated at 800 CCA @ zero F / 1200 CA @ 32 F

I know I haven't provided enough information, but I don't know what questions still need answered to begin putting this together. Any informed help would be appreciated.
    Not great for a storage battery. Maybe you could sell them.

Comment

• Sunking
      Solar Fanatic
      • Feb 2010

No
      Quite a bit as they are made for starting engines.
      Your batteries are hybrid made for cranking engines and have a Rc rating of 90 for BCI classification of 8D. That means they are 12 volt batteries rated around 125 Amp hours. AH rating is very foggy because they are cranking batteries. What is importat for you to know they only have around 100 to 300 cycles in them vs 3000 to 5000 cycles of a deep cycle battery.

Anyway based on just one battery you will need a 130 watt panel per battery. So how many batteries did you say you have?
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...