X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeF
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Charging with powersupply @ 14.65v

I've seen an example of charging a battery with a 30A power supply . He claims that the max output current is limited to +/- 30A @ 14.65V. See attached pict.

Voltage range 10v-14.95v, no current limit trimpot.

Question:
    Can I then assume that the output is "always" limited to +/- 30A max, even when the battery SoC is e.g. 12v with charge voltage 14v+ , no "poof" when start charging @ low SoC ?
    Attached Files
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

You need a sturdy power supply that has internal current limiting. That is what prevents too much current (amps) going to a low battery. Cheap power supplies might be "rated" at 30A, but that is not the same as a supply with current limit settings, which would be fine for days, putting 30A into a dead short.

The only way to force more current, is to increase the voltage, which is not recommended. As the battery charges, the 30A will slowly reduce as the battery is no longer accepting that much.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by GeorgeF

Question:
      Can I then assume that the output is "always" limited to +/- 30A max, even when the battery SoC is e.g. 12v with charge voltage 14v+ , no "poof" when start charging @ low SoC ?
      I am not sure who the "he" is that you refer to in your question. I don't assume what people tell me is the truth until I verify.
      Normally you should be able to rely on the manufacturers rating but it never hurts to check that assumption with your own tools, especially in distant parts of the globe with unknown vendors.
      Last edited by Ampster; 02-16-2022, 12:04 PM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

I've seen an example of charging a battery with a 30A power supply . He claims that the max output current is limited to +/- 30A @ 14.65V. See attached pict.

Voltage range 10v-14.95v, no current limit trimpot.

Question:
        Is that a charger that people use in RV's? I have one made by IOTA rated 50Amps and it performs a 3 level charge for my coach batteries.

Comment

• GeorgeF
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle
          Is that a charger that people use in RV's? I have one made by IOTA rated 50Amps and it performs a 3 level charge for my coach batteries.
          I think the example above is just a cheap power supply.

I've been reading some old posts here. See attachement.

My question is in fact: is every powersupply with adjustable voltage suitable for charging a battery?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

My question is in fact: is every powersupply with adjustable voltage suitable for charging a battery?
            New question, new answer, but the answer above still applies. As mentioned above it is important that the power supply be current limited. Not every power supply meets that spec,

Secondly for Lithium it is important that the power supply actually shut off when voltage and current reach settings. With Pb a power supply that provides small current or trickle charge could work.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
              New question, new answer, but the answer above still applies. As mentioned above it is important that the power supply be current limited. Not every power supply meets that spec,

Secondly for Lithium it is important that the power supply actually shut off when voltage and current reach settings. With Pb a power supply that provides small current or trickle charge could work.
              A simple voltage supply usually is not a good match to a battery charging
              requirement. A battery might draw a rather large surge, and some supplies
              can be damaged if current limiting is not built in. Bruce Roe

Comment

• GeorgeF
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2018

I can't follow you. Usually lithium one charges @ < bms cut-off voltage. You then can float.
                ​​

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

I can't follow you. Usually lithium one charges @ < bms cut-off voltage. You then can float.
                  ​​
                  Most power supplies do not have an adjustable float voltage. It is irrelevant for you but I wanted other readers to understand that. Lithium cells suffer from shorter life if kept at higher voltage for a long time.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Most power supplies do not have an adjustable float voltage. It is irrelevant for you but I wanted other readers to understand that. Lithium cells suffer from shorter life if kept at higher voltage for a long time.
                    I agree. From what I am familiar with my LiPO RC batteries are not to be charged to 100% if I plan on keeping them on the shelf for a while. Li will suffer if they are kept at a high float charge so my charger will stop at the point they are told to as compared to a FLA type battery charger which will continue to keep a float charge on them.

Comment

• GeorgeF
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2018

If you CV-FloatCharge lithium @ e.g. 80% SoC you dont need adjustable voltage.

Comment

• chrisski
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2020

I charge and float my RV’s lithium batteries at 3.475 per cell with 3.65 being the max per cell, so this makes the batteries about 90-95% charged. I can sometimes look at the battery monitor and see 0 amps going into or out of the battery, and have to go into the SCC to monitor what the total power consumption is. The parasitic draw on the RV may be 15 watts.

It took a bit of adjustment on the voltage setting, but there is a sweet spot. A different much smaller battery bank I built, my bulk charge is higher than the float, so the “personality” of the battery is different.

So at those settings the battery is neither charging or discharging, but “floating where its at. When I had FLA, I don’t remember exactly, but I do remember a constant amperage going into the batteries and not the 0 amps I see with Lithium.

For the summer months, when I won’t use the RV for Four months, I will shut the battery off at between 50%-70% SOC.

Comment

Working...