Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Winter - will my battery freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Winter - will my battery freeze?

hi, newbie here, I searched for this topic and didn't find the answer. Apologies if it was already asked, I'm sure it was.

Will my batteries freeze this winter if I leaved them charged at 100%? Even duing the -40c worst case scenario?

Worst case, PVWatts, in the winter the solar should generate > 70Ah/day, and the security system consumes 25Ah/day.

I have 4 rolls S6-460AGM on 24V, with 4 x 355W panels, and outback fm150-60.

Thanks!

You have to figure that the worst case is when there isn't enough sun to charge the batteries and the temperature is very low.

I would look at the manufacturers suggestion concerning low temps and freezing and don't figure any charging at that time.

Comment

Keep in mind that when it is -20F or below, that is when photovoltaic panels work the BEST!

They will produce the highest current ever during those days.

If batteries are allowed to drain down to 0% will freeze, expand and split their cases. If kept at 100% SOC they should be able to withstand the colder temps.

Where I live we routinely see -20F every winter.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Fully charged batteries are OK. Will your charge controller "freeze" at those extremes ?

Freeze point Pb battery.jpg
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...
        X