Building multiple battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building multiple battery

YES YOU CAN AND I DID JUST THAT!! (Dont believe everything you read or what people say on this subject) I didnt, TRY, experement, play with your system learn as you go. That said.... I Started with a Outback flexmax 80 amp charge controller. THEN Bought 10 reconditioned GC2 interstate batteries from my local interstate battery dealer. Wired them up at 12v using a 2000 watt 12v inverter. Here is the key... Purchase a Desulfater from amazon aprox $100. I added batteries as I could afford to built my way up to 22 of the same GC2 reconditioned batteries. The desulfater keeps the batteries fresh while building the bank up. Eventually got 32 batteries (it took over 3 years) I now have 30 panels a 48v 7200 watt dual, inverter dual charge controllers. Now have built up 4 48v banks over the course of 3 years. All performing perfectly together I still keep a desulfater on line at all times. Batteries still charge to the Max evenly. Ive had them 4 years now. They were reconditiond (used) when i got them. With proper care they will give me 10+ years of life and if one goes south develops a bad cell i will get another RECONDITIONED battery to replace it with and keep on trucking. I get my batteries for a whopping $65 each plus core. I get dead batteries every chanse i get from friends or wherever i find them. Then trade them in for core charge. I can draw 1000watt load for 24 hours before i reach 50% I've added in a 48v Air40 wind generator now and LOVE it. Good luck with your projects.

I'm glad it's working for you and that you have the time to maintain all the batteries.

Most folks aren't so lucky, so that's why we caution neophytes against it.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Reads to me like DIY/redneck engineering at its finest.

Add: Caveat Lector.

The fruits of experiment can be fun to nurture and grow as well as mentally nourishing and rewarding to harvest.

As a thought experiment, ever wonder what you'd need to price your labor and attention to all that at to make your generation methods cost effective to the average bear ?

Maybe you could branch off and get into the battery recycling business. I saw one of those in Taiwan once but it was a commercial operation. It was a real hoot. Something like around Dante's 4th or 5th level.

Different strokes.

Just bustin' on ya. Welcome to the neighborhood, but the caution to readers is real.

Last edited by J.P.M.; 01-07-2020, 11:49 AM.

Comment

All experiments end differently. Some people are very successful and others fail. I am glad the OP has been successful with his battery system but in truth a lot of people can spend a lot of money without getting what they want. It is those people that we try to provide guidance and tips not to waste their money.

I have built a small solar / battery system and spent about $2500. It was comprised of 4 x 12V 50Ah batteries wired in parallel along with 4 x 90 watt panels , a 30amp PWM CC, and a 600watt pure sine wave inverter. When built it could only provide about 600watt hours a day. That was 5 years ago. The batteries rarely saw more than 15% discharge. They are now struggling to hold a charge and provide even 100watt hours a day.

I look back and say I could have saved $1000 of that $2500 I spent by going with 2 x 200 watt panels, 2 x 6V batteries and an MPPT type CC. and gotten more watt hours out of the system. But live and learn because I should have listened to some of the experts here before I spent my money and built a system doomed to fail.

I do not want others to waste their money like I did so I try to tell others to first think it out and then design a system for their needs.

To those that can afford to experiment, I say good for you. But to those that can't waste their money, please think about what you are doing and ask questions before you spend anything.
        Last edited by SunEagle; 01-07-2020, 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Sun Eagle,

Thank you for your time, effort and knowledge. You are definitely saving those of us who are less knowledge from going down the wrong path.

I think that I can speak for most of us in saying that we would much rather learn from your experiences rather than repeating them.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
            Sun Eagle,

Thank you for your time, effort and knowledge. You are definitely saving those of us who are less knowledge from going down the wrong path.

I think that I can speak for most of us in saying that we would much rather learn from your experiences rather than repeating them.
            You are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
              Sun Eagle,

When young, I was advised to learn from the mistakes of others because I was not going to ever live long enough to make all the mistakes myself. Now that I'm old(er), I wish I'd paid attention.

Comment

BAWK if you must. But.....
                Where I come from you learn to do what you have to do with what you have to do it with.
                In this case Its no mistake and im not the first to do this, this way.
                Sure its not for everyone...Anyone!! can throw money and people at a project and gain success.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob775 View Post
                  BAWK if you must. But.....
                  Where I come from you learn to do what you have to do with what you have to do it with.
                  In this case Its no mistake and im not the first to do this, this way.
                  Sure its not for everyone...Anyone!! can throw money and people at a project and gain success.
                  I admire your determination.

Unfortunately most people live paycheck to paycheck so don't have a lot of money to burn. As well as not having the smarts or tenacity to experiment. They want their stuff to plug and play without the hassle of thinking what to do.

Comment

Working...
                  X