Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DG_Azusa
    • Sep 2019

24 Volt Battery to Enphase inverter

I have been searching, but can't seem to find any info. Maybe it's a crazy question so no would ask it, but I wanted to see what other people thought about it.

i have a 24 volt battery bank. What would happen if you wire an Enphase M215 to the battery bank instead of a solar panel? It needs a minimum of 22 volts to start. Would it fry it because the battery bank has too many amps or would the inverter just draw the amps it needs?

Thanks for any input 👍🏼
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

First problem I see is that a solar panel is a "current source" and the battery is a "voltage source". I do not believe the M215 would work connected to a battery.

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
      First problem I see is that a solar panel is a "current source" and the battery is a "voltage source". I do not believe the M215 would work connected to a battery.
      I think it would work till something in the battery melted. The MPPT circuit is going to searching for the sweet spot and keep loading the battery till something gives. Either the battery pops an internal fuse, or the inverter eventually clips and heats up.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...