Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • suseuser
    • May 2019

Add another battery or replace for higher Ah

Currently I have the HF 35ah battery. As usual they are having their 25% off coupon. I'm debating if I should get add another 35ah battery or just replace my 35ah battery with a 100ah battery in the $100.00 range. The only reason I'm debating the issue is because I've spent the money on the first battery. I just hate to scrap it to go to the 100ah battery. Currently I'm running a 500W inverter 24/hrs a day to open a garage door occasionally.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Do you have grid power available to operate the G.D.O. ?

Comment

• suseuser
      • May 2019

No. There is no power to the shop. I intended to run power to the structure but never go around to it. It's never really been used as a shop. Just a storage unit. I could just quit being lazy and just use the pull cord. I was just turning on and off the inverter. But the inverter has to be located in the rear of the shop. And isn't easy to access.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by suseuser
        No. There is no power to the shop. I intended to run power to the structure but never go around to it. It's never really been used as a shop. Just a storage unit. I could just quit being lazy and just use the pull cord. I was just turning on and off the inverter. But the inverter has to be located in the rear of the shop. And isn't easy to access.
        NOMB, but depending on the tools in the shop and what the electrical energy usage is or might be, running power to it might be something to consider doing, perhaps/maybe/possibly even less costly than off grid PV in the near/medium term. Or, depending on how big the door is, your physical capabilities/limitations, how often the door is operated, and how future plans work out, maybe a hand crank/other manual means of operating the door might be a consideration.

Comment

• Tecnodave
          Solar Fanatic
          • Mar 2019

Suseuser

i will stay focused on your question....generally a real bad idea to parallel batteries, especially mismatched ones. And that battery is too small for an inverter...bite the bullet and get a 100 a.h. battery

david.

Comment

• suseuser
            • May 2019

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. Even adding a the second HF battery for only brings me up to 70ah. I'm thinking there are decent 100ah batteries in $100.00 to $150 range. Now it's a matter of finding the best bang for the buck to work with my 100 watt panel. And then figuring out what to do with the 35ah battery.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Run AC power and save yourself a lot of headaches. Otherwise stay away from anything from Harbor Fright and parallel batteries. Lastly if you have a 35 AH battery now suggest you have a small battery charger. To charge 1 100 AH battery requuires a 10 amp charger. I assume you only have a PWM charge controller and with a 100 watt panel can only charge a 50 AH battery,

Use the $100 and run AC power.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

The elegant solution is get a battery operated garage door opener. No inverter. Bruce Roe

Comment

• suseuser
                  • May 2019

Originally posted by bcroe
                  The elegant solution is get a battery operated garage door opener. No inverter. Bruce Roe
                  I hear some of the garage door openers actually have a connection for a 12V battery backup. The opener is only a couple years old. The no load power consumption of the inverter is around 10W. So more than 99% of my power just goes to running the inverter. I'll have to find the calculations for doing the math. But, it seems like a 100W solar panel, with 5 hours of peak sun, connected to a 35ah battery, running a load of 10 amps 24 hours a day would just barely keep up. The part of the math that throws me off is the power that isn't being drained from the battery during those peak 5 hours to run the load. I think that would actually mean you can subtract 5 hours of the load from the 24 hour total.

Comment

• suseuser
                    • May 2019

Originally posted by Sunking
                    Run AC power and save yourself a lot of headaches. Otherwise stay away from anything from Harbor Fright and parallel batteries. Lastly if you have a 35 AH battery now suggest you have a small battery charger. To charge 1 100 AH battery requuires a 10 amp charger. I assume you only have a PWM charge controller and with a 100 watt panel can only charge a 50 AH battery,

Use the $100 and run AC power.
                    It would be nice if a $100 would cover the cost of running power to the garage! The solar setup is a short-term solution. We don't intend on staying in the house for more than another year. If we were I would have already installed a full solar power system for the garage and the shop. I was one day away from the installation of a full system with the grid tie-in. Truth be told, this little setup is more of a pet project and proof on concept project than a serious endeavor. And I consider any purchase from HF to be junk.

Comment

Working...