X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bodo
    • Apr 2019

Adding to Battery Bank

Howdy gang.

I keep hearing that enlarging a battery bank at a later date is a 'bad idea. Battery capacity degrades over time and when you add to a bank the new batteries are forced to perform at the state of the old ones.

My question is why does it matter? Let's say I buy 8 batteries now (48v bank) and in a year they degraded 10% and they're at 90% performance. Then I add 8 more batteries and so the entire bank is at 90% performance since the new will match the old. Versus buying all 16 now and they degrade 10% over the next year and the whole bank is at 90%. Aren't I still at the same place a year from now?

What am I missing?
    Last edited by Bodo; 04-23-2019, 10:34 AM. Reason: Not showing up.
  • Bodo
    • Apr 2019

Hmm, why is the rest of my post not showing up?

Turns out if you use an alt- code everything after it doesn't post. Very strange.

Comment

• PNW_Steve
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Bodo

Turns out if you use an alt- code everything after it doesn't post. Very strange.
      This is a know "feature" around here.

Regarding your battery question, I am waiting for the answer as well.

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Only those codes for which the muliti-byte UTF-8 representation contains a 0x00 byte will cause this problem.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Bodo
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by inetdog

Only those codes for which the muliti-byte UTF-8 representation contains a 0x00 byte will cause this problem.
          *breaks out geek-to-english translator* Umm, got it. I think. Thanks!

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

It is not a problem for Lithium packs because Lithium batteries can be paired at the cell level. That is true as long as you use batteries of same chemistry and capacity. Sorry for the digression, I know your question related to Lead Acid batteries which consist of 3 or 6 cells in series.
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Howdy gang.

I keep hearing that enlarging a battery bank at a later date is a 'bad idea. Battery capacity degrades over time and when you add to a bank the new batteries are forced to perform at the state of the old ones.

My question is why does it matter? Let's say I buy 8 batteries now (48v bank) and in a year they degraded 10% and they're at 90% performance. Then I add 8 more batteries and so the entire bank is at 90% performance since the new will match the old. Versus buying all 16 now and they degrade 10% over the next year and the whole bank is at 90%. Aren't I still at the same place a year from now?

What am I missing?
              Well first you are guessing that you will only lose 10% of the existing batteries. Chances are if they are wire in parallel in any way, one or more may lose much more than 10%.

So you take the chance of bringing down the life of your new batteries to the worst one of the existing bunch.

If needing to go purchase new batteries sooner then you figured but you can afford that then no sweat. But if you are on a fixed budget and you now want to replace all 16 batteries you might expect to need a loan to spend that much money.

All we are saying is that adding new batteries to an old set will end up with a shortened life for all of the batteries. The decision is yours to make.
              Last edited by SunEagle; 04-24-2019, 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Bodo
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by SunEagle

All we are saying is that adding new batteries to an old set will end up with a shortened life for all of the batteries. The decision is yours to make.
                I appreciate that.
                The plan is to add in the next year. If the budget improves, we'll probably change out the whole bank. Just depends. We'll go easy on this set and see how it goes.

Comment

Working...