Need battery charger advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need battery charger advice.

The solar/security camera system I am building does not really need solar power all the time because I have AC power available during the summer. I may actually remove the PV panels during the summer (it's a long story) and hook up a battery charger. The batteries are 450AH at 12V and I don't actually need a very big charger to match the continuous battery load (say 5A) but would need more if ever the batteries were down for some reason.
    Most small battery chargers seem to be meant for much smaller battery banks like maintaining one 12v car battery. I don't need an inverter and I don't want to injure my batteries.so I wonder what size/kind of charger I need for my particular situation?

Thanks
    Tony

I like the Genius line of chargers, they come in several sizes and I use one to keep my starting battery in float forever. I got mine off Amazon. Look for one about 2x your loads that way it can charge and power loads
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Hi, wondering how to make my own post..? Sorry, new to the page!

Comment

Originally posted by shirsch View Post
        Hi, wondering how to make my own post..? Sorry, new to the page!
        Hi Shirsch, welcome to the forum. After a day or two, you'll be approved by an admin to start your own threads. When that happens you'll see a "New topic" button appear at the top of the forum pages:

new topic.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X