Insulating the battery box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insulating the battery box

Has anyone actual data on how much battery temperatures are increased compared with the ambient temperature by using an insulated battery box in winter, and is there an overheating problem in the summer?

Thanks
    Tony

It may depend on the type of battery and the charge and discharge rates
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Yes, but some data based on experience, even.vague or anecdotal, would be informative..

Tony

Comment

Well this might not be useful because I use Lithium Batteries from a Nissan Leaf and they don't change much from ambient when charging or discharging. They are in my garage which never gets colder than 40 F nor hotter than 90 F. I haven't found the need for a battery box but I am going to have to put them in some kind of NEMA box. That may change things.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Here is a post I found on a different forum.

"I needed to build an insulate a quick "good enough" battery box for this winter. I lined a box that had ~3 extra inches all around the batteries with rigid foam insulation and then put fiberglass batt insulation around the batteries. On top are a few pieces of rigid foam plus the plywood lid of the box. I vented the box and this winter, even with -10 degrees, my batteries have been hovering around 50 degrees. Last winter my batteries got very VERY cold, so I consider this a big win. No other heat source other than charging of the batteries."

It sounds like the battery activity might generate enough heat to keep the temperature well above ambient thus helping capacity, depending on activity of course. I guess the next question is summer overheating. Perhaps I need the insulation to be removable.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Wright View Post
            Here is a post I found on a different forum.
            . Perhaps I need the insulation to be removable.

Tony

Bingo!
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Working...
            X