Battery interconnect Cable Size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery interconnect Cable Size.

Hey Guys...I'm making a battery bank using 12 2V L16's to make 24V.........my question is what size would be good to interconnect the batteries.

Inverter is 4000Watt, and down the road will probably add another 4000W inverter....so draw could get pretty high

Gonna use 4/0 to come off the bank to the inverter, but was wondering what size I need between the batteries.......

Thanks!
    z

Whoa. 8Kw of inverters. You NEED to seriously change plans and go for 48V. And an energy diet.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Zardiw View Post
      Hey Guys...I'm making a battery bank using 12 2V L16's to make 24V.........my question is what size would be good to interconnect the batteries.

Inverter is 4000Watt,
      Now that is some funny stuff coming from a guy who makes a video and claims to be an Expert on the idiots bible You Tube "R" Screwed. You have no clue just how dangerous that is and the batteries cannot handle that large of an Inverter. Your life and property not mine. glad you do not live anywhere close to me.

But I will answer your question since you have no clue what you are doing. 4000 watts on a 24 volt battery will draw 200 amps, more than a house would draw. To do that without making a fire bomb, which is what you are making, would require a minimum 4/0 AWG which you stand no chance of terminating correctly without a 16-ton hydraulic compression tool and training. Not to mention the Inverter Input Terminals are not likely capable of handling 200 amps or facilitating a lug large enough to handle the current or mechanical stress.

Bottom line Inter-cell cables must be as large or larger then the Feeder to the Inverter and a 200 line minimum requirement is 4 AWG or larger if any distance is involved. Hope you have a 3000 to 4000 wat panel system with two very expensive 60 to 80 amp charge controllers. Bet you did not know that either You Tube Expert.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
        Whoa. 8Kw of inverters. You NEED to seriously change plans and go for 48V. And an energy diet.
        Wow......You're absolutely right. I'm gonna convert to 48V........that will solve a lot of problems...Will let me hook up twice the panels to one Morningstar MPPT60 and knock down the amperage and cable sizes.......Thank You!!!
        Last edited by Zardiw; 01-05-2019, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          Now that is some funny stuff coming from a guy who makes a video and claims to be an Expert on the idiots bible You Tube "R" Screwed. You have no clue just how dangerous that is and the batteries cannot handle that large of an Inverter. Your life and property not mine. glad you do not live anywhere close to me.

But I will answer your question since you have no clue what you are doing. 4000 watts on a 24 volt battery will draw 200 amps, more than a house would draw. To do that without making a fire bomb, which is what you are making, would require a minimum 4/0 AWG which you stand no chance of terminating correctly without a 16-ton hydraulic compression tool and training. Not to mention the Inverter Input Terminals are not likely capable of handling 200 amps or facilitating a lug large enough to handle the current or mechanical stress.

Bottom line Inter-cell cables must be as large or larger then the Feeder to the Inverter and a 200 line minimum requirement is 4 AWG or larger if any distance is involved. Hope you have a 3000 to 4000 wat panel system with two very expensive 60 to 80 amp charge controllers. Bet you did not know that either You Tube Expert.
          Currently using 4/0 cables on one battery string.....but I'm gonna hook up another string of 12 2V L16's. Going to upgrade to 48V, which will knock down the cable size requirements. Thanks for the info on the cable size. Will have to buy a Magnum 48V inverter and sell my 24V one on EBay down the road. For now will hook up the other string and stay at 24V. Have enough room in my battery box for another 12 L16's. So when I go to 48V will have 24 2V L16's on one string and 8 6V L16's on the other string.

z

Comment

At some point bus bars tend to replace big wire. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by Zardiw View Post
              For now will hook up the other string and stay at 24V.
              12 older cells, 12 newer cells ... be wary. Parallel is not good, parallel of other than identical is bad.

Comment

Working...
              X