Copper Buss Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
    Note to self.... Next time buy it in the tin can.
    They also make it in a what I would call a Snuff Can or Chewing Tobacco Can. Pretty much a life time supply for $3 or $4 bucks. In a location if you cannot get a good anti-oxidant, Vaseline will work and when used on skin keeps acid off skin when working with acid.
    Last edited by Sunking; 10-09-2018, 09:16 PM.
    MSEE, PE

Comment

Ordered a 2 oz jar, should last me forever...

Comment

Originally posted by Justin B. View Post
        Ordered a 2 oz jar, should last me forever...
        OK here i show you use it, so pay attention to details.

1. On your battery Term Post is Scotch Brite or brass brush to clean all exposed surfaces to a shiny finish. Do not over due it. Clean it with Acetone or Alcohol.
        2. Apply a very light coat of No Ox to all exposed surface including inside the Bolt Hole.
        3. On all mating surfaces, buff contact surface lightly with Scotch Brite to get a shiny finish. Be careful on plated copper compression terminals. If you see copper you went to far. Clean as above.
        4. Apply light coat to mating surfaces, compression barrel, all hardware, and make everything sticky from top to bottom. Don't get it messy, just a light coat.

A bit late for this, but for connectors close to batteries also get No Ox applied on wire sinners and inside compression barrel to seal out oxygen and acid from wicking action of any exposed wires.

Last tip is buff up your grounds buss with Scotch Brite to make it shinny. The immediately apply a thin layer. No-Ox. When I say thin, I mean like furniture polish. Wipe on a little No-Ox with a soft cloth very lightly, then polish it off with a clean cloth. Get it all buffed in, and that bar will remain shiny for years locking out oxygen from touching the surface. .

Last tip on No-Ox is don't trap yourself inside a box it is for electrical only. On anything you do not want to corrode, or where two dissimilar metals are used like copper and aluminum.
        Last edited by Sunking; 10-09-2018, 10:58 PM.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

[

Last tip on No-Ox is don't trap yourself inside a box it is for electrical only. On anything you do not want to corrode, or where two dissimilar metals are used like copper and aluminum.

So much for that 2 oz. lifetime supply.

All good info though. Thanks for sharing your experience.

2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

This sounds just the ticket for the stupid Volvo fuses I have to remove and clean yearly. >

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

[

So much for that 2 oz. lifetime supply.

I go through an 8oz tube about twice a year... mind you i'm an electrician and I use it on bolts/screws in outdoor light fixtures and anything where you need to get a joint apart, or move current through it. It's good stuff.

Comment

Working...
              X