600Ah UPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600Ah UPS

Thought it was a about time I had some power backup for my reef tank, along with my TV, a few lights, media center etc.

I grabbed these off ebay, 100 AH AGM FIAMM for standby use, which is perfect for my setup rather than solar. So far they have all passed discharge and charge tests under a 20amp load each. Im running a 380w pure sine wave inverter and a 20a bench power supply which charges the batts after a powerout and then simply supplies any loads. In a setup like this with load a normal battery charger will stay in boost and boil the batts, so a power supply is the way to go, some battery chargers have supply mode for this application. i have tracked down a proper charger for standby setups like this, but tis a cool 500. Bit heavy on the wallet at this stage, i mainly want it for temp compensation.

Have you thought about a marine or rv inverter charger. It will automatically switch over to battery when power is lost and will give you 3 stage auto charging plus an equalization mode ( generally manual)
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Naptown View Post
      Have you thought about a marine or rv inverter charger. It will automatically switch over to battery when power is lost and will give you 3 stage auto charging plus an equalization mode ( generally manual)
      yeh I did check these out, I found they were of course more expensive, and I found it hard to find one with adjustable charge rates, I needed 13.6v float. The more trusted brands offered adjustment but were more than my whole setup. Maybe down the track Ill pick one up.

If you now of a cheapish inverter charger, 240v , not ebay , let me know.

Comment

Remote monitoring and alerts added.

Hey Guys,

Thought Id share some of my holiday tinker on the home UPS. I use the UPS setup for my reef aquarium, and keep the internet up etc.

Im using the sitemonitor 2 from packetflux.com and PRTG to monitor and alert me via SMS if anything goes outsite certain ranges. If the power goes out or my tank temperature drops or rises by a degree, I get an SMS and can access the site remotely to check whats happened. You need a laptop running 24/7 to run PRTG, which uses SNMP to access the sitemonitor and grab data. PRTG is a powerful bit of software for monitoring SNMP, you can run reports, setup Maps, setup alert thresholds etc, free for up to 10 sensors too. packet flux have a number of expansions too, Im running the temp controller unit, basically to use the two temp probes, it has 4 relays that can be used to control anything based on temp settings. The base unit also has a contact switch port, which you could use for theft detection, eg solar panels etc. They also sell an expansion which hooks into morningstar regulators, which Im keen to get my hands on for perhaps monitoring my dads cabin. Packet flux is are going to release their gen start and bypass unit soon, which id be keen on having a look at for gen backup.

Anyone interested can check out my live site here http://jestronix.dyndns.org:55055/pu...007&mapid=live

all to keep this alive

Attached Files

Comment

What device are you polling against that does SNMP? Or are you polling another way with M/PRTG?? I plan to use MRTG for my setup, and only know how to use SNMP. My controller doesn't do SNMP, so I am returning it for on that I can at least monitor with a PC.

Comment

Originally posted by joerossjr View Post
            What device are you polling against that does SNMP? Or are you polling another way with M/PRTG?? I plan to use MRTG for my setup, and only know how to use SNMP. My controller doesn't do SNMP, so I am returning it for on that I can at least monitor with a PC.
            You are talking to a ghost who has not haunted this house in 5-1/2 years.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Yes, I I realized that was a "cobweb" after pposting it. Then I left it hoping anyone else would know.

Comment

Powerflux is what I use, cheap for what it does ! Yeh I'm back 8 years later lol.

Comment

TADA!!! See? It worked! We'll revive this thread if it kills us all!! :P

So what devices are you using that allow you to poll SNMP for temp and wattage? I have an aquaponics setup I want to build to do about the same thing. I searched for "PowerFlux" and that's not coming back with anything you can poll against. Just some fancy power cords. I am almost to the point of scratch building it all with ESP8266s. I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Comment

Tada! Let's keep this rolling

ipad autotype kicked in packetflux became powerflux new version coming out soon apparently, higher accuracy
                    Last edited by Mike90250; 08-18-2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jestronix View Post
                      tada! Let's keep this rolling

ipad autotype kicked in packetflux became powerflux new version coming out soon apparently, higher accuracy
                      spam ????
                      Last edited by SunEagle; 08-18-2018, 01:49 PM. Reason: deleted web link

Comment

jestronix MUCH...... BESTer!! Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

spam ????

Soz what a pain it is with references and URLs

Comment

Working...
                          X