alternative to paralleling batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative to paralleling batteries

so I've read enough to know that paralleling batteries to acheive my desired amp-hrs goal is very much frowned upon for using a 2,000 to 3,000 watt inverter. I already have two US Battery's 6v L16 in series for 420 AH and want to double that. From a weight perspective I want to find a way to justify Lithium's as I don't need another 250lbs in my 5-wheel, but one or more of the experts on this forum have serious reservations about the safety of Lithium for use in a recreational setting by a recreational user, I get that, but to repeat myself I don't want another 250lbs. I don't know if I can swallow the price but if all the components, batteries, inverter/charger, etc where Victron, would you be good??

didn't really hit my topic did I. So if I rule out Lithiium for safety or costs reasons. Then am I better/safer to convert to a 24v or 48v system and only use batteries in series? How much does my inverter/charger increase in price going from 12v to 24/48v?? I'd have to get a 75 amp ??DC-12DC converter because the 5th wheel jacks can need that amount of amps when they cycle, plus the other 12v loads inside the trailer. I don't have solar panels yet, but if I did does that further the case for 24v/48v system?

Comment

If you double the battery bank size, you need to double the charging source to recharge them in a timely manner.

But, if you want, you CAN keep using the batteries you have, and you will be deeply cycling them, and you get shorter lifetime from them, That may be better, to change batteries every 3 years, only have 2 batteries to mess with, and no extra weight. Or are the batteries going dead too fast and you need more overnight lifetime ?
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

i worry that the voltgage sag past 50% SOC on my FLA's when I need to raiser or lower the hydraulic jacks on the 5th wheel, will fault out the jacks as they don't like low voltage and they can draw 50 plus amps DC. Do AGM's suffer less from this vs. FLA's? I know that Lithium's have very little sag until past 20% SOC.

Comment

AGM batteries are better than flooded lead, in regards to voltage sag. Can you activate 1 jack at a time, or do all 4 engage ? What if you are running the engine, would the alternator help with the sag under load ?
          But AGM is more fragile than flooded, cannot withstand overcharge, and costs more.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

The jacks come down in pairs, but the hydraulic pump is the load. It also runs the two middle slide-outs that are also hydraulic. Typically the pump can run in the 50 amp area, but can bump higher if it hits some drag in the parts extending before it hits its own internal overload and shuts down. So the manufacture has told people to replace the 50 amp breaker with an 80amp.

I'm in a 5th wheel so the pigtail connection between truck and trailer is small gauge so can't really get many amps (10-15 at most) from it. Some claim if the truck battery is fully charged and the smart alternator has shut down, you won't get much of anything, enough for brake lights, etc.. Don't know why, but have never tested it.

So lets say I get another two 6-v L16's for a total of 4, 2 banks in series which are then paralleled to get 12v & 840 AH. Running a 12v 3000 watt inverter at full tilt (for very short amounts of time, like 4 minutes on the microwave) would be a draw of 276 amps (per DC to AC Amperage Conversion Run Through an Inverter @ batterystuff.com) or 138 amps if all four batteries where in series for a 24v bank.

I'm guessing the amperage draw on the 12v layout (276 max) treads into the dangerous/stupid area, the C/8 rule, right? 840/8 = 105 amps max. Even for a 4 minute length of time?

But 138 amps out of all 4 connected in series I'd have 24v @ 420ah, so what is my c/8 limit here running a 24v 3000 watt inverter? The same?

Comment

Never mind, I just read this post by Sunking and I quess what I'm wanting to do with a 3000 watt inverter is crazy.

"Inverter Size vs Battery Size Tutorial.04-15-2013, 04:48 PM"

Comment

Working...
              X