How can i charge a supercapacitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i charge a supercapacitor

I charged few minutes a 500f with a solar panel. I can lightup a low wattage ledbulb for approx 50minutes. I dont have to worry about dod and cyclus, thats what they told me. It will last longer than my own life.

Anyone have ideas how i can charge a supercap continuously offgrid during the evenings without using a battery or a windturbine? During the day no problem with solar.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by fivewin; 01-31-2018, 09:09 AM.

Hop on a exercise bike with a generator rigged to it?
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Yeah, i have seen examples of handcrank charger.

Its now evening here and I just charged again 2 minutes but now with 1 li-ion 18650. I think i gain nothing, right?
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't know your goals.

You say you do not want to use a battery (no worries about dod and cycles) but then you add a battery. I thought your goal was to only use a super-cap?
        Dave W. Gilbert AZ
        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Ive just received the supercap and im just testing now. My goal is indeed looking for alternatives to charge a supercap. Perhaps handcrank or diy (salt)waterbattery.

Comment

Why not just have more supercaps so you can make it through the evening and night without needing to recharge them? Charge them all during the day.

Comment

Supercap is all new for me. The explanation in the attached pict i can follow. Will parallel connection result in more joules and will the discharge time be extended? In otherwords will the duration of above lamp indeed be longer cq double?

I could not find examples of parallel, plenty of serials.
              Attached Files

Comment

While your coffee is still hot charge the supercap , just an idea with peltier low voltage generator which is easy to make it yourself.

Is it true that i then can lightUp 1w led for 1800 seconds after fully charge a 500f supercap in 1-2 minutes? Above example/pict is an ac lamp + joule thief dc-ac.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by fivewin; 02-02-2018, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Batteries are favored for loads, because they can charge and discharge much of their capacity
                  with a relatively small change in terminal voltage. This isn't true of capacitors; any exchange
                  of energy causes a direct change in voltage. The energy in a cap = 1/2 C Vsquared. If you plug in
                  upper and lower values of V, you can calculate the energy change for charging or discharging.
                  Bruce Roe

Comment

Thats perhaps a joule thief is handy to use in combination with supercap

Comment

Working...
                    X