Wiring diagram needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring diagram needed

I need a wiring diagram for 8 12 volt batteries wired for 24 volts and balanced drain and charging. Thanks, Mike
    Last edited by VintageMike; 10-23-2017, 03:37 AM.

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

You need to series wire 2 batteries at a time then treat each series string as one battery. Method 3 would work for you, using buss bars and equal length cables. If you have a DC rated clamp meter you can verify, somewhat, equal current into each string.

If you don't have the batteries yet you should consider using 6 volt batteries. You would end up with only two strings which will be much easier to manage and have balanced charging as two strings instead of four. Also you would need less cabling and no buss bars.
    Last edited by littleharbor; 10-23-2017, 07:43 AM.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

If you do not know already, you should not be doing this.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
        If you do not know already, you should not be doing this.
        WOW! Gotta learn, right? How do you learn? Read, research, ask. Haven't been able to find a diagram for 8 batteries, only 4. I have 4 new 8A8D's. Got them about 2 months ago. I barely used them. They are replacing batteries that were damaged by the previous owner of a cabin that we bought. I'm getting 4 more next spring. Also replacing inverter/charger because he damaged that too.
        Last edited by VintageMike; 10-23-2017, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VintageMike View Post
          I need a wiring diagram for 8 12 volt batteries wired for 24 volts and balanced drain and charging. Thanks, Mike
          that would be 4 parallel strings of 2 batteries in series, with proper fusing for each string, and proper fusing for the pack. The aforementioned site (smartgauge uk) covers the math of the disadvantages of parallel strings.
          you need to learn to use AMPACITY charts, wire length and voltage drop calculators.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Here is a picture of six 6 volt batteries in series parallel with busbar.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X