X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Freezer to OffGrid PV System

Hi everyone,

Can anybody explain to me the difference between:

A Connecting a DC 24VDC freezer directly to the 24VDC battery bank.

or

B Connecting a DC 24VDC freezer to the 24VDC output of the charge controller

Your help is most appriciated

Regards

Johan

Not sure where you are going with this, but let's start with broad generalizations... a battery is a voltage source, while the charge controller is a current source. Your refrigerator requires a voltage source.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Ok perhaps I haven't been clear enough about my question. See the attached picture please. The freezer is connected to the dc output of the charge controller. My charge controller (Outback Power FlexMax 80) doesn't have a DC output so how do I connect the freezer to the system. Directly to the battery bank?

I hope this makes my question more clear

Attached Files

Comment

Yes, typically all of your loads will be connected to the battery, through fuses or breakers as appropriate. The Load Terminals on the Controller were getting used so seldom for 'load' that the manufacturers started using them for other stuff like low current 'dusk to dawn' lighting, relay drivers, etc. Now it has come to the point where they are just leaving the load terminals off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bendesa1962 View Post
          Ok perhaps I haven't been clear enough about my question. See the attached picture please. The freezer is connected to the dc output of the charge controller. My charge controller (Outback Power FlexMax 80) doesn't have a DC output so how do I connect the freezer to the system. Directly to the battery bank?

I hope this makes my question more clear
          Most charge controllers only allow a limited amp load connected to their "load" terminals. They were designed for minimal lighting control.

Some of the high quality CC's have higher rated terminals but you have to read the specifications to know which ones will allow you to connect something like that freezer.

The best way to connect a DC load is to the battery terminals using the proper wire and over current device to protect it.

Comment

Everybody thanks for your reactions. Most appreciated

Comment

You are welcome. Come on back and ask questions anytime.

Comment

Do not forget to add a LVD=Low Voltage Disconnect to you load. This will prevent over discharging and damaging your battery.

Comment

Working...
                X