Newbie Generator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Generator Question

I have been searching the forums for days, off and on, and have had no luck finding how to auto gen start my generator. I have an AIMS inverter/charger (PICOGLF60W48V120V, 6000 Watt Pure Sine Power Inverter Charger - 48 Volt to 120 Volt) and a Champion generator (Model #100204, 2800W/3100W Dual Fuel Inverter Generator ).

The inverter/charger has a two-wire connector for auto gen start and the generator has an electric start, but I just can not figure out where to connect the two wires to the electric start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I attached the wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kylezahid; 05-26-2017, 08:49 PM.

And your question is???
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

I use the same brand inverter but I have not yet tried to wire in the auto generator start. I do not believe that is possible with the generator you have. The issue you will have is your generator does not have an automatic choke. So when the engine is cold, it will not start unless you physically turn the choke on. I bought the Champion generator 7500w which has remote start, so it has an automatic choke. I would be able to wire in my generator if I wanted it to start automatically but I probably will not. Now, you can make yours work if you modify your generator with a solenoid to that closes the choke as needed but that will require a lot more electronics to work correct, not recommended. The other issue with doing the auto generator start when your batteries get low is that inverter makes the batteries get VERY low before it will kick on the generator..... way to low if you want your batteries to last. I believe it was below 22 volts which was the higher setting. I monitor my batteries and never allow them to fall below 24v for my 24v system.

Comment

Originally posted by 685eric View Post
        I use the same brand inverter but I have not yet tried to wire in the auto generator start. I do not believe that is possible with the generator you have. The issue you will have is your generator does not have an automatic choke. So when the engine is cold, it will not start unless you physically turn the choke on.
        That is why emergency generator have Block Heaters.

MSEE, PE

Comment

First thing I noticed in the manual was a line saying don't leave start on too long or you will damage it. That means the control system is as dumb as a stump. I wrote a program for a cattle rancher in Montana for his remote diesel water pumping station. That had to turn on the glow plug if cold minutes before starting. Stop cranking when generator when it started, retry so many times before a lock out, operate off float level and some other stuff. So, you could add automatic functions if you wanted to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            That is why emergency generator have Block Heaters.
            No, that is not why emergency generators have block heaters. Large diesel emergency generators have block heaters because they need them in cold weather. His 2800w gasoline generator does not need a block heater. For it to start when cold, it needs more fuel and less air... AKA a choke.

Comment

Originally posted by PNPmacnab View Post
              First thing I noticed in the manual was a line saying don't leave start on too long or you will damage it. That means the control system is as dumb as a stump. I wrote a program for a cattle rancher in Montana for his remote diesel water pumping station. That had to turn on the glow plug if cold minutes before starting. Stop cranking when generator when it started, retry so many times before a lock out, operate off float level and some other stuff. So, you could add automatic functions if you wanted to.
              Are you talking about the generator manual? If so, you can not leave the start button on for months at a time without running the generator because it will kill the battery. The system will always be using some power, looking for a signal to start the generator. So no, it is not a "dumb" system. Unless it is a wired system, it is impossible to have a receiver that uses zero power on stand by. I leave mine in the start position for weeks at a time without a problem. It will not damage the system, it will slowly drain the generator battery.

Comment

There you go. Now tell him how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by PNPmacnab View Post
                  There you go. Now tell him how to do it.
                  Like I said earlier, it isn't practical with his generator.

Comment

Is there a chance that you could get by with starting the generator manually and having the inverter shut down the genny when the charging is completed?
                    That may be easier to rig. You may have to monitor fuel levels to keep the genny running though.

Comment

Working...
                    X